Anyone know about legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oesdog, Sep 11, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    There isn;t anything much on BYC about Legbars and I only found out by accident that my Roo is a Cream Legbar. You don;t seem to have them in the states.
    They are an EE and have the Blue egg gene however their legs are Yellow not green. There are Gold, silver and cream legbars. They are also related to the Cotswald Legbar that lay blue/green and Pink eggs. (The Araucana comes from South America,This breed is also commonly called the Easter Egg Chicken/Easter Eager due to its egg colours that can range from blue to green which is where the Cream Legbar gets its egg colour from The Cream Legbar, which produces blue eggs, is a cross between the Brown Leghorn and the Barred Plymouth Rock with some Araucana blood mixed in.)

Anyhow that is about as much info as I have and I wondered if anyone else on BYC either has them or knows about them.

Here he is - BLUE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some folk thought he was an OEGB - but now I know he is a legbar.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Go to Greenfire farms.com and click on new arrivals. She has some explanation there. They are very pretty birds and can be color sexed very early it seems. They also lay a light blue large egg. Gloria Jean

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I hatched 5 last year. 3 cockerels and 2 pullets. I kept the boys for as long as I could because they were wonderful eye candy (if a bit screechy) but in the end they had to go. I still have the 2 girls though. They are not particularly prolific layers but ok. Eggs are a nice colour though and that is essentially why I got them in the first place. If I can dig out some pics I'll post a couple.

4. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Thanks that is great. - I know that you can tell the chicks from hatching and that is one reason I am liking them. Blue was a pale colour but had egyption eye thing going on.
    I was sooo hoping he was a hen but sadly no.

Highlander it would be lovely to see your pics. - My roo has started to screech a lot! If we part him from Omlet the other baby chick ( She is Cukcoo Maran ) I had hoped to breed them so her baby pullets would lay green eggs but she is always ill.

Thanks for that I am glad I am not the only one here to have a Legbar I sooo want more!

Oesdog -

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have very many good ones of the hens unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Quote:by not prolific layers , how many eggs say in a week? I think they are very pretty too. Please post pics. Gloria Jean

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Quote:by not prolific layers , how many eggs say in a week? I think they are very pretty too. Please post pics. Gloria Jean

Maybe 6 or 7 eggs between the 2 of them each week. Sometimes they will both just take a break for a couple of weeks too for no apparent reason.

8. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Highlander - My cream legbar is sooo much lighter in colour? The ones I have seen on the net are pale. The roosters are beautiful. I can;t wait to see what my BLUE will look like grown up.
    Your hens are lovely but so much darker. They are one of the breeds you can tell from hatching - boys more yellow and girls kind of rusty!
    I soooooooo want some hens, I think US doesn;t have Legbars much. We don;t get Blue layers here I soooo wish I could have some Legbar Hens. I thought the Cotswald Legbars are lovely too!

Thanks much!

Hope my Roo boy grows big and strong and QUIET????????
    I should change the name of this thread to The Legbar thread! [​IMG]
    Oesdog

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Jealous of you people east of the Atlantic. . . . Legbars have the BLUEST eggs I have EVER seen. . . . They surpass Araucanas and Ameraucanas.

Also they're pretty neat looking.

10. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I was doing some research on them last night. They're easy to get in the UK and Europe, but not here in the USA.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by