Anyone know about OLIVE EGGERS?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NannaD'sCrazyCoop, Sep 14, 2011.

1. NannaD'sCrazyCoop

NannaD'sCrazyCoop Out Of The Brooder

FIRST QUESTION: I have 6 RIR / 1 def a Roo...1 I'm not so sure about - He looks nothing like the other RIR Hens I have - but he's doesn't have a tail like a Roo?

[​IMG]

The one in the foreground is Pepper, he's the one I'm not certain is a roo or not (the other one is a Roo his name is Cogburn). Anyone else know?

[​IMG]

These are two of my ladies: the one in the foreground is Little Ann and the other is Ginny...

SECOND QUESTION: My husband and his friend bought 9 OLIVE EGGERS? They look like Araucana...except two are Lavender/Bluish Gray

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little Gray one is Tinker Bell...Don't let her small size fool you - she's a bugger! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is Pearl - She's a hoot! [​IMG]

Also was just informed could be Ameraucanas (Black/Blue).

What exactly do I have and are they all pullets?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    The first 2 RIR are definitely cockerels.

It looks to me like Tinker Bell and the Black bird to the left are also cockerels, the last Blue bird pictured looks like a pullet. The others look like pullets, too, but the pictures are a bit unclear to be 100% sure.

Olive Eggers are a mixed breed made by crossing a dark egg layer, like a Marans and a blue or green egg layer, like an Ameraucana or Easter Egger.

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Looks like your Olive Eggers are Marans/Ameraucana mixes. They will probably lay a nice dark olive egg. They are real cuties!! [​IMG]

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    olive eggers are crosses between dark egg layers and blue egg layers. My olive eggers are a cross between my cuckoo marans roo and some easter eggers. I believe if they have a single comb, they will lay a brown egg. They're just mutts, but they sure are pretty!

5. NannaD'sCrazyCoop

Quote:Thank you Jeremy. So they are really called Olive Eggers? Why haven't I heard much about them? Is it important to be careful about which roo they mate with?
    What do you think about the two drinking out of the pool? The one on the left has a deep red comb. Cockerel or Pullet?

Happy, VERY HAPPY about my RIR...I LOVE THEM! The OE are very flighty and will not come near me. They seem aggressive to me - but may be too early to tell.

Thanks again for your help!

6. NannaD'sCrazyCoop

Quote:Thank You...I like the blue/gray ones OK - but they are more aggressive than I'm used to. Not sure if it's the adjusting period or just the way they are. [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    FYI - Araucanas don't have tails. [​IMG] (you mentioned they looked like Araucanas. . . . I think you mean Easter Eggers)

8. NannaD'sCrazyCoop

Quote:Are yours aggressive? Do you think mine will calm down?

9. NannaD'sCrazyCoop

Quote:Thanks. I've only been raising chickens/ducks/turkeys for about 4 months...still learning about new breeds all the time. Soooo much to learn - but it sure is addicting, fun and relaxing.

10. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    and i was also going to say Talk to Illia! She is where I got my OE info from. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by