1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know about Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CHIC, Sep 15, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I recently got a Silkie hen and roo and want to breed them. I thought they were both solid white and now notice that the roo has a faint gray on his back, it's so faint that I didn't notice until I got him home. What does this mean? How would I advertise the chicks? I guess I couldn't really call them white could I? Any suggestions?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    photo?

3. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I don't have any pics yet and even if I did I don't know how to put them on here...lol... It's rediculous, I'm only 21 and I am already computer illiterate. I don't think you would even be able to tell in a picture.... I also just noticed that the hen has a slight buff color on her- also very faint. Really weird, I don't know what to think. They are still pretty but I just don't know if I could sell them. I don't want to decieve anyone so I can't really call them white Silkies so I don't know what to do. Any advise?

4. silkielovr

silkielovr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I can't tell you about the chickens, there are much smarter folks here for that BUT how to put the pic on is pretty easy.
    Go to REPLY then at the top in the blue line....eight choices across is UPLOAD. Hit that and then browse to the pic you want......upload it and it will give you an "adress", copy that and then paste it in your reply box.
    Got that??? Try it. I just learned myself and passing it on!
    hope to see the pics soon! Good Luck

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  6. muzzles&nuzzles

muzzles&nuzzles Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    MI
    First you have to get the photos in your computer. Then upload them on here. It isn't horribly difficult but it does take some time.
    It is worth it to learn how though. A picture tells the story so much better.
    Good luck. Someday you will have kids (like me) and you can have them do all your computer work. They learn early in school these days. lol

7. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Omg I got pics and can't figure it out. Please help. I have them uploaded and can't figure out how to put them on a reply.

8. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    [​IMG] hope this works

9. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any input, I think I finally figured it out!

10. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I have roos that hatch with that gray/mauve color in their feathers. Its either a double silver gene being expressed or possibly the lavender gene. Use him, he came from white parents.

If you're referring to the discoloration on her head that is probably not permanent. She either got it wet and then ate or she had mites and was treated for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by