Anyone know about Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks?

Shoonell

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Utah
We recently got some banty silver penciled plymouth rock and polish chicks. We are kinda new to chickens and have been looking for info on either breed. We can find a lot on polish and plenty of people who own them but not so much on the rocks?! Someone told me that they heard they are a difficult breed of chicken to raise. That seems odd to me because I thought rocks were supposed to be very tame and good egg layers. Can anyone help?

Difficult how? It's a difficult colour pattern to breed because it's hard to find good ones tp start with but other than that I don't see why they'd be difficult.

The breed isnt difficult, and like NYREDS said its the color. There are some male lines with nasty females, some female lines with lots of white, and there are some that get good males and females from the same line. When we had partridge wyandotte bantams the females pencilling was the hardest to breed to standard. We got a few birds that were double laced or the pencilling was arrow like on round feathers or there was peppering. Another big problem I have seen with partridge and silver pencilled rocks and wyandottes is the tail. It seems that alot of people have birds that have pencilled main tails when the main tail is supposed to be black. When the type and pattern are good on a silver pencilled rock it can leave you in awe.

Back
Top Bottom