anyone know anything about Aleution Pied Call ducks**pics added

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Jan 3, 2011.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I got given to me two trios of what I was told was aussie spotted ducks. I posted them on here and the best everyone could come up with is an aussie spot crossed with call. Yesterday I stumbled upon a duck breeder here in Ontario Canada...yet still very far away from me....but he breeds aussie spots. So I emailed him pictures of them.......and he came back to say...

Hi, Your Aussies aren't Aussies. Aussies don't have the white markings on the head, body and wings like your birds do. However, the good news is that I know what they are. They're Aleution Pied Call ducks. I'm kind of excited about seeing your birds as I developed the Aleution Pied coloured Calls years ago. Where did you get them from? I've sold a bunch of Aleution Pied Calls out your way. I'm happy to see people are still breeding them. (this is a copy of his email)

Anyone know anything about this breed/colour that would be helpful

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I am guessing you are talking about Josh Snyder? I know Josh. He is a very nice guy and extremely knowledgeable on the genetics of duck colors, probably even more than myself. He has been a great help to me at times including helping me gain a better understanding of the Aussie Spot and Overberg colors. I haven't talked to him in a long time though. I vaguely remember him working with that color. I would imagine it is just the Aleutian color with the Pied pattern.

3. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    It is Josh I emailded and got a responce. He does seem very smart on lots of ducky thoughts. And no way was I being disrespectful to him. There was very little information online about them and wondered if anyone here knew of anything.

4. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    What's his e-mail? I would like to talk to him.

5. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    "Aleution Pied"? I don't understand this "hobby name"? What genes involved? I read that runner pattern genes are there, but what else? Anyone know?

6. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi Ross (and others)! I will have to post a little bit later tomorrow when I have more time. I haven't been able to be online much lately and keep up with the genetics conversations. [​IMG]

The short answer though is that Aleutian is basically the Spot color. I think Holderread even has said that supposedly Aleutian Calls were bred from Australian Spotteds originally. I don't know the validity of that though and would have to read up on what some of the Call authors have said on that. I do remember though reading somewhere a long time ago that in Calls, Aleutians and Spots were both light phase split harlequin phase, but one was wild-type and one was dusky (my first thought is that claim might not be accurate though). Again though, I don't know for sure and I am so tired I can't remember where I read that.

You don't see Aleutians that much anymore anyway, which is probably why I haven't committed it to memory, LOL. Anyway, as I said earlier, Pied Aleutians would basically just also have the Pied/Runner pattern. I can elaborate more later. Josh I'm sure would be happy to give more detail as well like on how he developed his line of birds and also on the Aleutian color.

7. rollyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Hi Dana, plenty of helpful info there & understand know. I thought I had seen something on them in the past somewhere but I can never remember where. Anyhow, did find it in Holderreads book just prior to seeing this & you are right about them (Aleucian Calls) being bred from Aussie Spotted according to the book.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated [​IMG]

8. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    Here are some pictures of my birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rollyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Aren't they amazing! I've not seen anything like them, they really are spotted [​IMG]

10. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Very pretty birds! No clue on the genetics. Just wanted to look at the pictures, and then had to comment. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by