Anyone know anything about the yz8-48 48 egg digital incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bellah1, Mar 23, 2013.

1. bellah1

bellah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Western Washington
    I've been looking for a digital incubator that hold at least 24 eggs. ive found out that these incubators have a bad rep so i want to change my question to the genesis hovabator. Does it have a humidity and temperature control panel? How well does it control both? Or if you know of any other digital incubators with temp and humidity control for under $160.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I just did a google search on this because I am considering a bator still undetermined:)..I saw a posting from last year, where someone bought one and it blew up,,the top got so hot it was melting, lost the eggs obviously, other posts said there had been a couple of housefires reported on this..

I keep going back to the brinsea mini auto turner one, (all digital) or the Hovabator Genesis 1588 w/auto turner..

I don't think I'd order one from out of the US to hard to get parts/repairs.
    Diane

3. bellah1

bellah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Western Washington
    That's the same post I came across, supposedly this is the new 2013 version but I'm wary that's why I want to talk to others about any digitals that hold more that 20 eggs and aren't over $200. I think the 2012 hovabator genesis has humidity & temp control panel. There was another bator I found, it looks like a mini fridge with digital temp but no turner for about $160. Also the digital reptibator for about $125. I think I'm going to change my question to ask people about the hovabator genesis. Thank for the input I appreciate it!

4. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    check out ebay, I am seeing alot of good deals on NEW incubators, as well as used ones.

5. OzarkPigFarmer

OzarkPigFarmer New Egg

Apr 29, 2014
    The Howard YZ8-48 is a piece of junk. I have a Janoel JN8-48 that I started with and have always got 90% hatching range. I wanted to expand so I bought another incubator (YZ8-48) because it was supposed to be more energy efficient. I hatched only 14 chicks out of 48. The humidity on this machine would never get above 51% even with a full to overflowing water tray. The heat range varied from 37.1 to 37.7 erratically. I helped 2 more chicks hatch and then after 24 days checked the other eggs. They had fully developed chicks in them but the egg membrane was so dry they couldn't peck out, it was tough for me to break into them. The Janoel JN8-48 was running at the same time and kept the 37.5* temp consistently and the humidity will stay around 55 to 65 and if you fill the water tray to overflow it will go to 75 for last days of hatching. Now I have to get rid of this junk and buy another Janoel JN8-48. Love my hatching chicks, hate losing eggs my hens work hard to make.

6. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    i know you can get a janoel8-48 for $114 on ebay right now. Comes with auto-turners and is semi-automatic...pretty much just add water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by