1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know anything about trumpets?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tabsmonsters, Aug 26, 2008.

1. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    My 5th grader has decided to try band this year and wants to play the trumpet. I was more of a choir girl and DH was into sports, so we are clueless! I don't know what brands or what type to look for. I was wondering if anyone with trumpet experience could lead me in the right direction, maybe show me a few good deals on ebay so I know what to look for. Cheap but good is what I am looking for. We don't know if he will decide to stick with the trumpet so we aren't looking to spend alot of money. The band teacher found one for sale for $100, I dont know what brand, it needs to have a piece soldered on (not sure what piece) and she said it would need to have a chemical clean. I have no idea if the cleaning is one of those "must be professionally done" things or just personal preference. Any tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
    Thanks!

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    You might look into renting until you see if he wants to continue with it.

3. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Hi! My son who is 4 was just given a Holton Collegiate student trumpet and after sitting for years it plays quite well. (As well as quite loud!) Maybe do a search under that name? I'm still learning about this whole trumpet thing, only having known stringed instruments myself. I think a professional cleaning might be the best thing, will be checking into getting this one done here as well. Invest in some earplugs! [​IMG]

4. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Hi tabsmonsters…
    I am clueless but my daughter, a freshman in college, is a trumpet player so I asked her to respond to your post for me…I hope it helps you! If you have any more questions you can PM me or email me and I will have her answer.
    [​IMG] Mitzi

As a trumpet player, I would suggest starting out with a well known US model such as a Blessing or even some of the student models of the Yamahas. A good website to find trumpets is wwbw.com. For a good beginning model, expect to pay from 300 to 600 dollars for one brand new. I recommend buying a used model because you'll get a better trumpet for a lower price. Do not buy a trumpet that needs to be repaired in any way. The trumpet you were describing will definately have tonal issues and will have a very flat, undesirable sound to it. If the instrument looks like it has had a lot of repairs and stuff, I wouldn't buy it. If you buy a pretty nice trumpet, chances are it will hold its value when you try to resale it. Brands I trust are the Bachs, Yamahas, Schilkes, Kings, and Blessings.
    Hope this helps,
    Katelyn

5. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Wow, thanks for the info! I thought I was doing good for finding one for $100 and the band teacher made it sound like it was good enough. There is a music company the school uses for the students that offers a rent-to-own program. I will have to call them and see what their payment plans are. I just hate to sink lots of money into something that may lose the newness after a little bit. Thanks again for all the info. I truly appreciate it!!

Tabby

6. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    If you can't find one in the family, I would definetely rent until he decides he wants to stay with it (give him a year or two).
    Then as RedStickLA's daughter said look for a used one of the brands mentioned.
    If he makes it to college and still wants to play, then you might buy him a new one for graduation.

7. carwinew

carwinew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Our son plays trombone. We rented one and the first two years of the $16 rent apply to the purchase price. We added insurance which protected against damage or theft. Total per month was $28 w/tax. After two years it was almost paid off.
    His is a Yamaha and our band director recommends Yamaha brass instruments for students

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I played the trumpet and I have a Bach. Very nice! I would recommend that you rent one to start with to make sure that is something that your son would like to stick with. I personally thought the trumpet was the most awesome out of all of the instruments (I played the clarinet and drums as well) because the trumpet plays the melody. There are other instruments that do that as well, but I've always liked the trumpet the best! I don't know that I would mess with the trumpet that the band teacher found. If it is in need of a chemical bath then it is very tarnished and then you will have to find someone who can repair it, which will cost as well. I am envisioning an antique here! If your having to do that much work with it, you might be better off renting one. Our music store here will rent new music instruments out and if your child wants to stick with it you are given the option of buying the instrument on a payment plan. Call your local music store and see what they have to offer.

9. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm going to throw out another option that I don't think has been mentioned. I played trumpet and saxophone in grade school and my sister played dozens of instruments through college (OSU, Go Bucks! sorry back to topic) and graduated as a music instructor. The school she taught in had no budget for the band but a lot of interest from the students. She bought all kinds of instruments (out of pocket) and let the students borrow them to see if it was what they wanted to play and when they found "their instrument of choice" then the parents made their purchase. She found many instruments at Pawn Shops and found really good deals. Our pawn shops around here are FILLED with all kinds of left overs from high school bands, so you might try there. Also ask around and maybe you can find someone who will let you borrow one for a while.

10. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Trust me, Rent or buy one cheap at your local pawn shop.
    Don't shell out the big bucks until the novilty wears off and the kid desides whether or not to CONTINUE playing trumpet AND is musically inclined. TALK TO THE BAND DIRECTOR!!!

For beginners go with CONN, Yamaha, or Shrader (not well known)
    For intermediate band go with Boshe or a cheap Bach.
    and for serious "highschool/going to college" go with Bella, or Bach/Strad they have beautiful tone and are hand made.

(trombone, baratone, trumpet, sax Eflat alto, clarenet, flute, etc........... sectionleader, LOW BRASS leader, Band captain, Drum Major. )

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by