Anyone know anything about UC benefits in PA?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I just made an attempt at getting unemployment compensation. I'm really not sure if I'll get it or not, because my date of termination was 9/22. I don't know if there's a time limit for UC or not... Anyone know? I'm really hoping that I qualify, but I'm not 100% sure. I had to quit because I obtained full custody of my two children, and moved about 56 miles away. When you make $8.30/hr, you simply cannot afford the gas and a sitter. I left on good terms. The big boss even offered to give good references whenever I needed them. What are my chances of getting the UC benefits? Anyone know?

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I thought UC was only for when you were laid off, not quit or fired.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Because you moved that far, you should get it.... You may have to appeal after being denyed, but the panel will give it to you.

4. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:The news might be bad. My hubby worked for a short while as a car salesman. He felt that he was being pushed to lie to customers. So, he quite. He couldn't get unemployment benefits because he wasn't fired.

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Exactly, if you quit, and the employer fights it, you most likely won't get it. Even if you had a good relationship with your employer, they will probably try to get released from providing UC. It costs us money every time an employee collects. Good Luck!

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Did the employer "give" you a lay off "ROF".

Some will if you ask, if you didn't get an ROF you might be in a hard spot.

7. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Here you cant get unemployment is you quit..

Only if your fired or layed off.

But its worth a try.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It is a standard rule that if you weren't layed off, you won;t gt benefits. However, when I moved, because it was over 50 miles, I got it.

9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Actually, someone who was fired for sexual harassment was collecting unemployment. I was "forced" to quit due to circumstances out of my control. I'm not really concerned about my reasoning behind it, because I know that I have a darn good chance if that's my only concern, but, I am concerned about the time that I quit, and just now filing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by