Anyone know bantams?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickchick56, Jul 6, 2016.

1. chickchick56

chickchick56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Is it okay to just have one silkie?

2. Ray25

Ray25 Just Hatched

Jul 2, 2016
    Do you have any other chickens?

1 person likes this.
  3. Ray25

Ray25 Just Hatched

Jul 2, 2016
    I was tought and thought that chickens are social they live in groups so its best to have more than one

4. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure if you are asking about having one silkie breed with other chickens(bantam with standard size) or just a single silkie so....

You can mix standard size breeds with bantam breeds successfully. Sometimes other breeds will be fascinated with that poof on their head so I would watch for feather picking.

OR

You can have just one chicken, but it takes a lot of dedication on your part. If they don't have any flockmates then you are IT[​IMG] ! You will have to dedicate the time to spend with this baby each day so it will not be lonely, because chickens are VERY social animals. I have just one hen right now and she is a house chicken, with us throughout the day. I think she would be very unhappy as an outdoor chicken all by herself, but in the house she can follow and see what we are doing, come finds us when she wants ;ect! Goo/d luck with your Silkie...they are ADORABLE [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Mschkweasnduck

Mschkweasnduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    Spirit lake
    I have 17 chickens and only one of them is a silkie :) Pooby ...she took her sweet time joining the other ladies ,bout 3 weeks.now she's a part of their clic :) she went broody 2 weeks ago give or take and it's so cute...she lets the girls lay while she's sitting and just yesterday I had to remove a few fresh eggs due to insufficient silkie to egg coverage lol :D
    There is a exciting part to this story as well....3 of her adopted eggs are my khaki Campbell (hen) Rouen (drake) ducks eggs :D cannot wait .
    Anyway like everyone said one silkie is just peachy as long as she has another chicken or 20 + to flock with ;)

6. chickchick56

Jul 5, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Thanks

1 person likes this.
  7. chickchick56

Jul 5, 2016
    Minneapolis
    How does one get to see their ovations?? I'm on a tablet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by