1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know 'bout training pups?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by poultryrox11, Feb 4, 2011.

1. poultryrox11

poultryrox11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Petersburgh, New York
    My situation.... my mutt, Copper, is still peeing all over the house!!!!He's 1 yo and extremely cute & thickheaded. I know this is a chicken website, but it's worth a shot and i'm in need. Any suggestions? He's driving me up a wall![​IMG]

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    This should be in the other pets/livestock section. There are several here that can give you good advice with dogs.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    What breed is Copper?

I have Yorkies and they are extremely difficult to house train. I have 2 pups that are just starting to toddle, and they are already peeing on the rug. I only have two rugs in my house any more. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  4. poultryrox11

Feb 3, 2011
    Petersburgh, New York
    Quote:He's a shepard,dachsund,beagle mix. I have carpets, but they're all stained! [​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

#1 set up an appointment with your vet to get him check for any kind of medical issues that could be causing this (my cat has a bladder infection so yeah it does happen) Set up a surgery date.

Is he having accidents or is he hiking his leg on certain things. He could be marking his territory. Neutering should stop most of this.

If it's not being potty trained you need to go back to the basics. Take him out after he eats, before playtime, after playtime, first thing when he gets up (slippon shoes at the door along with a leash and jacket) If he isn't crate trained, do that now too. He's not to be given free range of the house, keep him behind a baby gate in the laundry room or bathroom. I keep all my dogs tethered to me on a 4foot long leash until they are completley house broken.

Throughly clean up any mess he makes. Then douse the area with vinegar, that will stop him from peeing there again.

6. poultryrox11

Feb 3, 2011
    Petersburgh, New York
    Quote:I had no idea about the vineger! I am pretty sure he is marking his territory. THNX a bunch for the advice! I'll let you know how it works!you're a life saver! [​IMG]

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The dachshund part maybe what is making him difficult to house train. Dachshunds can be very stubborn, and hard to housetrain. Also if the carpet is very stained, it maybe that the smells are encouraging him to use it as a toilet. If you can clean it with a Rug Doctor or something like that, you would also need to use an enzyme remover. I use Nature's Miracle. It is the only way to cut the urine smell. I also rinse the carpet with vinegar. That removes all the soap when you are done cleaning.

The rest will be making sure that the dog doesn't have access to the carpet. Some dogs never get it, but Copper is still very young, and should learn what he needs to do to live with the pack. The other thing you could do is crate train him. That can be rough the first day. But most dogs will finally train their bladders and enjoy their crate.

8. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Ditto to the crate training. Get a crate that is not much bigger than he is. The principle is that dogs instinctively dont like to mess up their sleeping space. Every couple of hours get him out of the crate and say to him Outside! in a clear tone (or some other word he can associate with going outside for potty purposes). Take him outside and if he does his business outside, praise him! I mean really love on him. Make going outside an opportunity for getting lots of petting and praise! Start this on a weekend or sometime when you can be there to take him out several times a day. If he doesn't potty, dont pet and love on him. Take him back inside and put back in the crate (whether he pees or not), and repeat the process until he starts to get the idea what the word 'Outside' means. My Chessie knows that Outside or Potty means she needs to do her business. She is 16 this month and has been an inside dog since she was 2. He wont like the crate at first but will get used to it. Since he is still so young put some toys or rawhide bones with him in the crate. DONT GIVE UP! Your alternatives are not fun...cleaning up all the time or putting him outside all the time. Good luck! Oh, at first you may have to put the crate in another room where he can't see you all the time, if he howls or barks.

9. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:How long have you had him and when did the problem start? You say he's a year old...has this been an issue since you first got him when he was a little pup?

I second or third the crate suggestion. Also what did you do to train him to potty outside? It makes no sense that a dog that was housbroken would suddenly start peeing all over.

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    This is your second thread about this. What did you do to train him in the first place, at that time was he housebroken? When did this start?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by