Anyone know how long.....apparently they don't live long *update*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jul 2, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    How long can a chick live on the air in the air cell? I know my chicks pipped into the air cell because I can hear them but they have not pipped their shell. Any guesstimates?
    Thanks
    Krista

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They should hatch within the next 24-36 hours. [​IMG]

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had two eggs peeping yesterday, pipped into their air cell. Against my nagging feeling I left them alone. Early this morning one pipped, the other didn't. I said I wouldn't intervene, but since I figured there isn't much air in there I pulled the non-pipped one and candled (almost noon), no movement. I chipped the top of the air cell and found a dead chick [​IMG] It must have just run out of air [​IMG] . I feel like I can't win for lose.
    Krista

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had one pip into the aircell but not through and it passed too. When I opened the egg up to check things out I discovered the yolk sac wasn't all the way absorbed. Did you open the egg and check things out? If I had intervened mine probably still would not have made it. Sometimes things happen beyond our control. Do be to hard on yourself.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Don't be too hard on yourself. I probably would have done the same thing--not knowing is the hardest part. I'm in a similar situation right now with some houdan eggs...I heard peeping last night and now they are silent, except for one chick which hatched...so should I make air holes in those eggs, or just wait?

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    FK, yes I opened it and it was a perfectly formed blue silkie [​IMG] . I feel even worse cuz it is not stiff yet, which means if I had made a small hole for air exchange this morning it would probably be still alive. Equibling- that's a tough call. I think from now on if I hear peeping and it doesn't pip by 8 or 12 hours, I think I am going to make a small hole for air exchange. Just to give them a little while longer to see if they pip themselves and then make a choice on a case by case basis. Good luck! Now I gotta see if I can put this lone baby in with my 6 day old silkies. Wish me luck!
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by