anyone know how long it takes for the chick to hatch out of the shell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FREEZE's CHICKENS, Mar 14, 2011.

1. FREEZE's CHICKENS

FREEZE's CHICKENS In the Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    Hey! im in a very great mood right now because 3 of 7 eggs started to pipp. how long does it take for the chicks to hatch out of the shell?
    im so impatient!
    thanks kevin!!!

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    minutes, hours, days...depends on the chick. what day are you on?

3. FREEZE's CHICKENS

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    there on 22 days now... the one started to move this morning and its now just pipped.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It varies. Just a warning, SOME chicks can take up to 24 hours from pip to zip and then hatch. Don't get too anxious to help too soon!

5. abritton77

abritton77 Chirping

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    To me it seems like the first ones to pip take the longest to hatch. I've got 3 that were pipped this morning and they havent hatched yet

6. latebloomer

latebloomer Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i just had two that took about 24 hours, so don't wait up.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As said. [​IMG]

Mine usually pip then do nothing for 12-24 hours, THEN they hatch.

8. FREEZE's CHICKENS

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    thank you so much everyone! very helpful [​IMG] the one chick actually hatched about an hour after posting this i wentoutside and came back in and it was running all around![​IMG] haha 2 more just started to pipp so im gonna head to bed and probably see what the situation is in the morning!
    thanks alot...- kevin

9. bakerjw

bakerjw Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Definitely be patient. I had one pip around noon on Sunday. I came home from work yesterday around 3:30 in the afternoon and the pip hole had barely grown. I was figuring that I might have to give it some help today (Tuesday) if it didn't make progress but when i got home from work last night at 5:30 in the evening (2 hours later) I had an open egg shell with a lively little uncoordinated chick flopping around inside the incubator.

Had it not managed to get out itself I'd have waited until this evening before lending any aid.

10. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Songster

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I dont believe there is any set rule because they can all be so different...My own person rul is, if they havent done anything after a day and a half after they pipped I usually cant resist breaking off alittle of the shell around to pip to be sure they are still alive, but you have to be very careful about this and only as a last resort because you dont want to open the bator while others are hatching...I usually do it if all others have already hatched and I have 1 or 2 stragglers. JEN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: