Anyone know how to breed Buff Barred?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Sep 13, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I am wanting to breed some kind of unusual buff colored bird. I would like Buff Barred, Buff laced or maybe even Red Barred but I don't know which breeds I would need to start with. Does anyone have any info or exerience with these colors. I would like for them to have the body type of Rocks or Orpingtons.

Also has anyone ever crossed a Blue or Splash Orp with a Buff Orp., if so what colors did you get?

2. i've never had chickens, but i herd you put male and female in a small room with a nest box

3. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I'm not trying to be rude but yeah, I know that much, I've bred chickens before, but I am wanting to know what breeds I need to start with to get the Buff barred color

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:???? Moving onward??

You need to get a barred male and breed to a red-colored female or buff-colored female. This way, all offspring will be barred. Select only the offspring that have the color barring that you're after.

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

You need to get a barred male and breed to a red-colored female or buff-colored female. This way, all offspring will be barred. Select only the offspring that have the color barring that you're after.

Thanks, if I bred my Barred roo to a Buff hen, would some of the be Buff barred, I thought they would all be black barred but I did get a Red barred roo from an accidental cross of what I guess was a Barred roo and I RIR hen. `

6. tate

tate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    some where in FL
    while trying to improve type on my milli cochins i used buff cochin the f2s were mottled buff the black on the feather tips never came out

7. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Wouldn't you get black and red/buff barred feathering? I'm thinking it would be hard to breed out all the black barring.

8. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

RIR male X barred rock female; select barred male offspring breed to red females.

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, That Red barred roo that I hatched did have some black in it too, I am wanting Buff barred with no black in it.

10. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Quote:Don't know about the barred, but you could work with Gold Laced Wyandotte and Buff Orpington to make Buff Laced... That would get you the approximate bodyshape you're looking for. It would be a project though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by