1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know how to carry car insurance for disabled unlicensed driver?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by RHRanch, Dec 2, 2011.

1. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Does there have to be a licensed driver on the policy? The person I know has no license, cannot drive. Owns a car that he needs insured, but no licensed driver to insure as he just occasionally has people drive him places. So, anyone know how this can be done?

2. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I am in CA too, I would call AAA and talk with an agent and see what they say. They have been very helpful.

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I had this situation come up recently (in Virginia, state laws apply) Have the owner of the car declare a licensed operator who will be driving the car the majority of the time. Tell the agent the situation.

4. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Quote:My uncle had a car and no license here in Va .State farm insured the car as state law requires for tags.He did have to have a licensed driver to drive it but no set person.He was also disabled.

5. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    riane'smimi :

Quote:My uncle had a car and no license here in Va .State farm insured the car as state law requires for tags.He did have to have a licensed driver to drive it but no set person.He was also disabled.

Interesting....I wonder how they rated the policy without a driver.​

6. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

riane'smimi :

Same here in Calif. [​IMG]

7. RHRanch

Same here in Calif. [​IMG]

How? Help please. lol

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    How? Help please. lol

No one except your insurance agent can really answer the question.
    If you're afraid to mention it, pick one at random from the phone book to call and ask how it's done​

9. RHRanch

Quote:No one except your insurance agent can really answer the question.
    If you're afraid to mention it, pick one at random from the phone book to call and ask how it's done

Havn't had much luck with agents, but I know there are disabled folks who have a car but do not themselves drive it, so I was wondering if there is some special coverage.

10. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I am not an agent for them,

but seriously, call AAA (Auto Mobil Club of SoCal here) and talk to an agent. I have had really good luck calling and picking their brains.

(I have also had my insurance with them for a long time-you can also go in to any one of the San Diego offices and ask them, if one does not know they will ask a co-worker) Many offices are open on Saturdays too

We put my moms car in my name because of the insurance requirements when she stopped driving, but that is different putting in your only child's name.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by