Anyone know how to deworm chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by goosegirl6, Nov 3, 2013.

1. goosegirl6

goosegirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    Can anyone tell me how to get rid of Tapeworms in my chickens? Asuming they have them. I treated them for roundworm, but now I worry about tapeworm, even if they do not hurt anything, who wants worms living in their chickens? [​IMG] Looking for sugestions that really work. Thank you!

2. goosegirl6

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    Thanks a lot! I looked at that and got plenty of answers![​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You'll know if your chickens have tapeworms when you see segments in feces:
    [​IMG]

5. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Yep. Tapeworms are obvious. I like Zimecterin Gold to treat tapes. -has worked very well for our flock. -chickens are coming up on two years of age. We've wormed about four times (and only when we've seen segments in their waste).

1 person likes this.
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ah, good to know.

7. goosegirl6

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    Do you always see segments in their droppings, even if it is just a light infestation? I always thought thet the chickens would eat them before I got to see them. Or do they not always bother with parisitic worms?

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can only see segments from tapeworms in feces, not from other types of worms. Each tapeworm segment contains hundreds of eggs. The eggs are deposited into/onto the soil and eaten by insects/earthworms. Chickens then eat the infected insects and chickens become infected completing the tapeworms lifecycle. Light infestation? No such thing. Worms cause internal damage to chickens and they can carry many different types of worms as I mentioned. When you see worms in feces, there's already an infestation. It means their digestive tract is overloaded with worms with no place to go, only out the rear end.
    Here's a photo with large roundworm infestation inside an intestine. One roundworm can lay a thousand eggs in one day to be excreted onto the soil.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. goosegirl6

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    Wow! Some pictures! So where can I get this medicine for tapes and what is it called?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by