1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone know how to find good homes for roosters ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildWithRoxi, Jun 3, 2016.

1. WildWithRoxi

WildWithRoxi Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    [​IMG]i need to know how to find good homes for my rooster chicks anyone know
    how to ?????????????????????/

2. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    What breed are they? What do you mean by good home? :)

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You could try listing them on craigslist or in your local feed store for a small fee. You may find someone willing to pay for a cockerel. Depending on your location you may even have to list them for free for someone to take them. Just be aware that once they leave your hands you have no say what happens to them. The fact is every year far, far more cockerel chicks hatch than there are potential homes. Unless you have a rare in-demand breed or show worthy stock you may have a difficult time finding "forever homes" for every male you hatch.

4. WildWithRoxi

WildWithRoxi Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    thanks i will try and they are
    light sussexs and i only have three or

four !!![​IMG]

5. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Last summer I had two cockerels I needed to rehome. Someone told me about the local radio station having a free pet placement segment called "Pet Patrol". I phoned in my info, and got calls from two farmers who needed roos for their flocks. The boys both went to good homes with plenty of hens for future enjoyment.

I waited until they were around four months old, though, so they were big enough to hold their own in a new flock.

6. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016

My feed store has a board where people can advertise things. Hay, farm equipment and animals. If yours does try that!
    Sell them for 15$-25$ if you don't want them to be eaten. Nobody is going to pay 20$ for a rooster they plan to eat!

Advertise them in your newspaper

Advertise them on Craiglists

I usually trade my roosters in for hens. Good Luck :) let us know how you sell them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by