Anyone know how to help/treat this goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by VictoriaP, Mar 18, 2017.

1. VictoriaP

VictoriaP New Egg

May 6, 2016
    Hey!

I work as a wildlife rehabber and yesterday someone brought in a greylag goose that seems to be in pretty rough shape. The clinic I work at doesn't see many waterfowl and I'm thinking of adopting him (or her), so I'd love any help I can get.

Behaviorally, the goose seems fine. He grooms and he eats. He isn't terrified of people, but he isn't at ease around them. He ate from my hand today, though.

Physically, he's almost deformed. He can't extend his wings and he can't fly. He's missing feathers as visible in the photos. He has bumblefoot. His neck is tilted and his tail is permanently pitched to the side. He can swim, though not as gracefully as other geese.

I don't know anything about his history, but I assumed he was kept in a cage for his entire life. Are these physical traits characteristic of growing up in a confined, dirty space? What can I do to help the feathers grow back? Would physical therapy help with wing extension?

Also, can anyone estimate his age (he weighs 3.15 kg)? Can anyone sex him based on the photos?

I plan on taking him to an avian vet when he is calmer and more settled in, but for the time being I'd appreciate any help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. VictoriaP

VictoriaP New Egg

May 6, 2016
    Thank you!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @VictoriaPWelcome to BYC! He is odd looking, isn't he? Might be helpful to see more pictures.
    The tail looks like "wry tail", which is no big deal as long as he can walk. The bumble foot could be life threatening if it's bad enough, so might be best to have a vet look at it.
    @Miss Lydia
    @Amiga
    @RavynFallen

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Oh, and the crooked neck could be similar to the wry tail. Keep in mind that there are two types of wry neck, one is genetic, like the wry tail, the other is a vitamin deficiency. I suspect it's genetic.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I suspect general neglect including lack of access to water and nutrients. Yes a vet is a good idea. The bumblefoot will likely require oral or injectable antibiotics.

Meanwhile and in any case, I would give the sweetie tub time in lukewarm water twice a day. This goose may never have seen a tub of water before so proceed gently.

After bath I would apply clear iodine to the bumble. Just a couple of drops. After several days the scab will lilkely be able to be gently pulled off after a good soak. Miss Lydia has done this.

I would give viramins with electrolytes and probiotics twice a week in the drinking water, and add a couple of tablespoons of brewer's yeast to each cup of food for a few weeks.

8. VictoriaP

VictoriaP New Egg

May 6, 2016
    Thank you all so much for the replies! Though I've only had him for three days, he's already perked up a lot. I also saw a glimpse of his repro organ, so he's definitely a male! I named him Mikey.

The more I work with him, the more I think he was the victim of neglect/abuse. Here in Miami, we have entire communities that practice santeria and voodoo. Judging by his condition, it seems highly likely that he was kept for such practices. It would explain the crooked spine and bumblefoot. His wings were probably tied back, but I've been doing physical therapy on them twice a day and he can now almost fully extend them.

I will definitely start using the electrolytes, probiotics, brewer's yeast, and iodine as suggested.

Tomorrow is his veterinary appointment--hope I can update the thread with some good news =)

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @VictoriaP What a precious one you have taken in. I agree with what has been said, he looks like he has been very neglected and whether that caused all the problems he is now having? could be the case. But sounds like he/she is in good hands now. So yes bath time as often as you can and lots of TLC good feed plus the vitamins and treating the bumble foot. If severe then a vet should be involved since it is life threatening. But if a mild case them soaking in an Epsom salt solutions daily and using the clear iodine can usually clear it up. Can you post a pic of the foot?
    Good feed, vitamins, exercise and lots of sunshine and TLC he should be at least looking and feeling alot better real soon. If the foot is painful then limit exercise but let him have some on soft grass.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by