Anyone know how to take care of these? ***SPIDER PICTURE ALERT***

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ZooSD, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ZooSD

ZooSD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    I found this in one of my bearded dragon enclosures. [​IMG]It wasn't there yesterday morning, but my lizards had a dark day due to some urgent family issues and I found it in there today. It had built it's web on the light fixture and was eating crickets.My first thought was to squish it, but curiosity got the better of me. We turned it into an impromptu science lesson, now I don't know what I should do with it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Is that a black widow? If it is, squish it!

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    [​IMG] looking for a shoe OMG I am sorry I saw that thing [​IMG]

I have a rule in my house - if it has more legs than my dog I DONT WANT it in my house LOL

Julie

4. FeatherFluff

FeatherFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NC-VA border
    That is definitely a black widow spider..... not sure that you want to keep her as a pet. She is venomous.

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    catch it and throw it outside but dont let it bite u or youll die!

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    She looks like she is ready to lay her eggs. Kill her before you increase the population.

Jean

7. Basia

Basia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    Black Widows DO NOT make good pets...
    If you want a "cool" spider get a tarantula.

If you wanna keep it for show... put it in rubbing alcohol (91%) until it is dead... then pin it to a board [​IMG]
    (just an idea)

Best is to SQUISH IT! [​IMG]

8. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    OMG - I so wish you had written spider in the title.

Melanie who will really have nightmares tonight.

I'd call the cops/marines/national guard any one who would kill it for me while I was in the next county calling an exterminator, kill it...
    [​IMG]

9. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    Is the bearded dragon enclosure in the house? I have never found black widows in the house. They usually like darker areas. I would find them a lot on machines that hadnt been used in a while kept in sheds or shops. I would know when I was dealing with a potential black widow by the way the webs would feel, they have very stiff webs. So if i was working on a machine and felt the web I would look in and usually find a big fat spider. I guess I was lucky and never got bit. I found a lot working in Northern California.

Also the reason I didnt get bit is spiders are afriad of us they run the other way when the sense us.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

OMG - I so wish you had written spider in the title.

Melanie who will really have nightmares tonight.

I'd call the cops/marines/national guard any one who would kill it for me while I was in the next county calling an exterminator, kill it...
    [​IMG]

We have a large (non-venomous) spider that builds a huge web on the side of our shop building each year. After reading an article about a spider just like her in Mother Earth News we've decided to start handfeeding her this year. Do I take your post to mean I shouldn't invite you to watch? [​IMG]

Black widows and brown recluse get squished. Everybody else gets a free trip outside.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by