Anyone know how to wire a PC Fan into a Plug for incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brkuk, Jan 15, 2009.

1. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    I took a fan out of an old computer for my incubator. I need to know how to wire it into a 110 plug for the wall. do i need a converter or something? just wondering if anyone has done this. I am too cheap to buy the LG fan. Right now i am still-air incubating a dozen eggs. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Yes you need a converter. Those fans are 12v DC fans. Try an old cell phone charger. Look on the back for the output. It will most likely say 7.5v which is usually enough. Cut and strip the wires on both the converter and the fan. Connect, tape and plug in.

I think MissPrissy has something on her page about it. Look up her home built incubator.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:That is what we did and it works fine. The same old fan is on its 4th hatch and hasn't died yet.

4. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    hey Clay, i just did it and it works great. i used a 6 volt output computer speaker plug. the little fan runs just enough. thanks for your quick help.

5. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    No problem, glad I could help. I know some one here, MissPrissy I think, passed that nugget of knowledge to me.

BTW we want picture of the new arrivals when they hatch. [​IMG]

6. quail kid

quail kid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Hello,

Could someone tell me how you cut and strip the wires form the cell phone charger?And how to connect it?
    It would be really appreciated if someone could do a vid or post pics of how to do it?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by