Anyone know if this is a cock or hen? Thanks

Sonic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013

Hi, we hatched out some eggs under our Silkie this year and we were keen to get a Vorwerk. Only one of the Vorwerks hatched and we are unsure of it's gender, we have nothing to compare it to. It has been squaring up to our French Copper Black cock of the same age and is ten weeks old. Any thoughts would be appreciated, many thanks, Sonia

I'd agree it does look like a he. Shame 'cus its a beautiful bird.
There is a decent poultry auction at Cirencester if you want to try to get some money for him. look online for 'voyce pullin'. I think the next one is sept 12th.

Can you please tell me, in what way would the colouring be different in a cockerel? Thanks
It's not so much the colouring, rather the shape of the feathers. Cockerels haeckles and saddles have long pointed feathers (typically) and sickle-shaped feathers as their tails, wheras from the images yours seems to have the blunted feathers of a female. It's entirely possible (and very probable) that, because of its young age this feathering will come through as it gets older.
The colouring could be different in a cockerel but colouring genetics get really, really complicated. I'm still trying to get my head around the basics.
idunno.gif

How old is it? Could you post a side-profile photo? From this angle, if it is older than 5 months, then I think its a pullet.

It's 10 weeks old and I've just been chasing them around the garden
smile.png
Please excuse the mess, building in progress....

That's a lot of comb for 10 weeks, and usually that means roo, and there may be some shine on those back feathers which could indicate roo as well.

However, your bird still looks to have mostly hen coloring. Watch the red on across the back and shoulders, it will develop more as will the black on the tail if it is a rooster.

Good photos of hens vs. roosters here:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Vorwerks/BRKVorwerks.html

Lady of McCamley

That comb is pretty red and prominent for a 10 week old pullet, but like Lady of McCamely mentioned, the coloring is that of a hen. I would wait a few weeks and then post updated photos. Once that tail grows in, we'll be able to tell better, too.

Okay, thank you all. I was going to re-home this weekend to free up space if a cock, but will need to wait I guess.....

Back
Top Bottom