anyone know info on jersey giants?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by augiedranch, May 4, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i ordered jersey giant chicks. my three friens and i are splitting the order.

anywase, what are these chicks like? are they fairly good chickens? any other info would be great.

thank you

2. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    mine are kinda skittish but they are still little

3. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thanks!

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have black Jersey Giants. They're still growing! I have two cockrels in the mix and they are very handsome. I plan to show one this summer at the Fair. I just hope they keep growing and become giant beasts. :0

5. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I have two, four weeks old. At this point, they are the most adverse to being held. There are two Delawares and two Buff Orps as well. The giants are the only ones to really enjoy worms from outside. They are the "gangliest" at this point since they are known to take longer to mature. I'm looking forward to seeing how huge they get!!

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Sweet and lovely, very cold hardy. They're the first out and last in in cold weather.

Average layers. Two out of five were broody for me.

The real big Giants come from breeders not a hatchery.

I like 'em. [​IMG]

7. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    cool!

so they do take longer to grow?

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've read that Jerseys take much longer to develop; first developing their frame, then later developing their musculature.

I'm really anxious to see how my 13 little 2-week olds turn out. They are a cross between a Black Jersey roo and new hampshire red hens. The breeder said they are laying machines, and that they lay for her all winter long; my EEs are fantastic layers in nice weather, but of the 6 who were laying this past winter, I got only 4-5 eggs per WEEK! So, hopefully these little Jersey Reds, as we're calling them, will help me out with winter production.

Good luck with them!

9. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thanks!

10. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I have 2 adult hens and they are scared easy and very quiet and they are wonderful birds. I am getting 2 more on Friday with a mixture of others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by