anyone know info on jersey giants?

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
i ordered jersey giant chicks. my three friens and i are splitting the order.

anywase, what are these chicks like? are they fairly good chickens? any other info would be great.

thank you

I have black Jersey Giants. They're still growing! I have two cockrels in the mix and they are very handsome. I plan to show one this summer at the Fair. I just hope they keep growing and become giant beasts. :0

I have two, four weeks old. At this point, they are the most adverse to being held. There are two Delawares and two Buff Orps as well. The giants are the only ones to really enjoy worms from outside. They are the "gangliest" at this point since they are known to take longer to mature. I'm looking forward to seeing how huge they get!!

Sweet and lovely, very cold hardy. They're the first out and last in in cold weather.

Average layers. Two out of five were broody for me.

The real big Giants come from breeders not a hatchery.

I like 'em.
smile.png

I've read that Jerseys take much longer to develop; first developing their frame, then later developing their musculature.

I'm really anxious to see how my 13 little 2-week olds turn out. They are a cross between a Black Jersey roo and new hampshire red hens. The breeder said they are laying machines, and that they lay for her all winter long; my EEs are fantastic layers in nice weather, but of the 6 who were laying this past winter, I got only 4-5 eggs per WEEK! So, hopefully these little Jersey Reds, as we're calling them, will help me out with winter production.

Good luck with them!

Quote:
I have 2 adult hens and they are scared easy and very quiet and they are wonderful birds. I am getting 2 more on Friday with a mixture of others.

Back
Top Bottom