Anyone know of a hatchery where I can buy ducks and chickens together on one order?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirchMeadow, Jan 31, 2013.

1. BirchMeadow

BirchMeadow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
    We started with a small backyard flock of four Buff Orpingtons last spring and think they're a lot of fun to raise. We'd like to add to that and would also like a pair of Pekin ducks. We don't have a ton of room, so we can't order a minimum of 15. I know that mypetchicken.com will ship as few as four day-old baby chicks... but they don't have ducks. Anyone know of a hatchery where we could order just two Pekin ducks and four chickens? Thanks in advance! :)

2. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Ducks/chickens for backyards min 2 mix and match chicks ducks breeds and they will sex them ordered twice they were good co. Also like metzers not sure if they have chicks. Also not sure of their Availability at this time.

1 person likes this.
  3. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Rural King's minimum is 5 and Tractor supply has a minimum of 2. I would check them out and ask the manager when they are getting a shipment for spring.

1 person likes this.
  4. imdamama

imdamama Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Ideal poultry will let you mix ducks and chickens. Minimum order is $25 (not birds!).

5. BirchMeadow

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Many thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to check into each of these options. :)

6. BirchMeadow

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Hmmmm... We're in Michigan and the TSC here would not allow anyone to buy fewer than 6. Their reasoning was that requiring a minimum of 6 prevented impulse buying.

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Since I didn't see a similar reply in the duck section, I copied my reply to your post in the other section,

Most hatcheries don't ship them together because of safety reasons. I'd check TSC, you can call and see if the one near you gets ducklings. Ask at your local feed stores, all of them. Check craigslist. I've found some very good quality birds on CL.

Also, make sure you are prepared for ducks. Research, research, research. Ducks have some different requirements than chickens. Also, Pekin drakes are known to be quite randy so seperate housing would be best. If a drake mates with a chicken it can injure or even kill the chicken as the 2 species are not anatomically compatible. Pekin ducks are known to be LOUD so if neighbors are close, probably a bad choice. ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Jdywntr is right about Pekin drakes. I have 3 and if i wasn't so attached they'd on my table their mean. my Tsc in va would only sell 6 min I was told state reg. but said I could mix chicks w/ ducks perfect my sis wanted 3 chicks I got ducks but watch out Tsc I've read gets 90% drakes and claim its equal sex mix. They love and thrive in water so much more mess. Ducks are absolutely wonderful but it can be challenging just be prepared storeys guide is a great reference and search the forums on here great info to.

1 person likes this.
  9. BirchMeadow

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks for the reply, jdywntr!

Yes, I will check craigslist as well. Good idea!

I've gotten several books about ducks so that I can learn as much as possible before they arrive. We're planning on having a separate enclosure/pen for the ducks with an area where they can swim. I'd read that ducks, water, and chickens weren't a good mix. :) We're planning on females only, but that's good to know. I hadn't thought about them trying to mate with a chicken. Since we do have one neighbor nearby, we don't have a (noisy) rooster. We are thinking about 4 ducks, total now -- two female cayuga and two female pekin. We chose those because I've read that both breeds are cold hardy, fairly calm and make decent pets. I did read that pekins could be loud but didn't think that 2 would be too bad...?

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You are welcome. Glad to hear that you are reading up beforehand. You can also try posting an ad on craigslist to split an order from a hatchery, Metzer is great just waterfowl though. Also go to the "where am I, where are you" forum and find your state and see if there is anyone around you that breeds ducks or would want to split an order. Also, check the chickenstocks thread for and gatherings in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by