1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know of where to buy organic chicken feed in the chicago area?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Patsy's Chicks, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Patsy's Chicks

Patsy's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi there! I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy organic feed in the chicago suburbs. I've called for quotes from Heftner Feeds in Osco, IL and also CFS (?) in WI. I would prefer to stay local but it doesn't seem as though that is an option.

I would love to buy enough feed from either place to make it worthwhile, but that would be a lot of feed and even with my 29 birds I would be way over and I don't want the feed to spoil or go bad before I would be able to use it.

So if anyone knows of anyplace local, let me know!!! If not it looks as though I will be placing an order to pallet feed in from one of the two places I listed above. But it doesn't make sense not to max out the pallet weight since I would be paying for it.

I love my chickens and I only want the best for them! Hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

2. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    I just found the BEST feed store in the Chicago area. I'm in the western suburbs and it is totally worth the drive for anyone as far away as Chicago. I don't know if this store sells organics, (my guess is no), but they do sell food that is all-natural, nothing added, (unless you want it that way), and locally-grown. The store is called Griswold's and they are in Aurora. It is a family-run business and the guys there know their stuff. I'd much rather buy non-organic feed from people who are one step away from the producers, (that farm in Illinois), than organically grown stuff from California that requires a large environmental footprint to bring the food to me. Supporting the local economy is aways good too.

3. CHICAGO CHICKEN

CHICAGO CHICKEN New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    Try BackyardChickenRun.com
    Organic feed (Cashton Feed brand), local business, delivered to your door. Also carries other backyard chicken supplies, and high quality dog and cat food.
    John
    www.backyardchickenrun.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by