1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know the breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilverWolff, Mar 16, 2015.

1. SilverWolff

SilverWolff Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

Anyone know what breed these 2 are? They belong to a friend of mine and she was told they are marans but I think she was lied too.

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Well, the rooster looks like he has a beard which Blue Copper Marans are not supposed to have. He also looks like he has a pea comb. So while he could be for the most part properly colored to be a Blue Copper Marans, the pea comb, the beard, the lack of feathers on the shanks tell us that he was crossed with something along the way other that a Blue Copper Marans. He could be an Olive Egger, which is a cross between a dark brown egg layer and a blue/green egg layer.

The hen could be similarly, however, she does appear? to have a small straight comb and smaller than usual wattles. Comb genetics for a pea comb reduce the size of straight combs and wattles, so she could possibly also be a cross. However, she does have feathered shanks and doesn't have a beard. She could a Blue Copper Marans. He egg color will give a better clue. However, just because she lays a dark brown egg won't mean she isn't a cross. I had a pea-combed Olive Egger cross (Black Copper Marans over pea-combed green egg layer) that laid dark brown eggs. Not all dark-brown-egg-laying crosses are Black Copper Marans or, in the case of the hen pictured above, a Blue Copper Marans.

Edited to add: The hen does display the classic back silhouette of a Marans ... not fully a U shape as a Langshan, but heading that way. (Langshans used in development of Marans ... they say.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The rooster looks like an Easter Egger, and the hen does look like a Blue Copper Marans.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x3

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

7. SilverWolff

SilverWolff Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    Thanks for the help everyone...the beard on the roo was what was throwing us off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by