1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know the municipal code on Chickens in Winston Salem, NC?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by arlee453, Apr 27, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Anyone from Winston-Salem area who happens to know the code for keeping chickens in a residential neighborhood?

My DH's brother & family are looking to add a few egg layers to their very surburban neighborhood...

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Here ya go...

Sec. 6-4. Keeping horses, mules, donkeys, goats, sheep, cattle, chickens or other fowl and pigeons.
    (a) Shelter and sanitation. Any person who keeps, feeds or maintains horses, mules, donkeys, goats, sheep, cattle, chickens or other fowl or pigeons in the corporate limits of the city shall maintain an adequate fence within which they are kept and an appropriate shelter therefor, and maintain the same in a clean and sanitary condition. There shall be provided a bin or pit which shall be watertight and so arranged that it is flyproof, or a watertight barrel with a close-fitting lid. Manure accumulating shall be placed in the bin, pit or barrel each day, and the manure shall be removed at intervals not longer than five days beginning on March 15 and continuing until September 15 of each year, and at intervals of one week from September 16 to March 14 of each year.
    (b) Location of shelter. It shall be unlawful for any person who keeps, feeds or maintains in the city any horse, mule, donkey, goat, sheep, cattle, chicken or other fowl or pigeons to place the shelter or housing for said animals within 150 feet of the property line of any adjoining lots or parcels of land.

Editor's note: Ord. No. 4535, § 2, adopted Oct. 24, 2005, repealed § 6-6, which pertained to keeping chickens or other fowl and derived from Code 1975, § 3-6; and Ord. No. 4456, § 1, adopted June 16, 2003. See § 6-4 for provisions relating to keeping chickens or other fowl.

Sec. 6-8. Noisy fowl.
    Any person keeping within the corporate limits of the city, or within one mile thereof, one or more flocks of fowl which habitually crow or cackle for at least 15 minutes during the nighttime or before or after daybreak in such a manner as to result in serious annoyance to neighboring residents and as to interfere with the reasonable use and enjoyment of the premises occupied by such residents shall be guilty of maintaining a nuisance.

So.... it looks to me like you can have chickens as long as they are 150' from the [property line and you take good care of them and they don't bother the neighbors.......

and

Here's something kinda local:
    http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080223/NRSTAFF/625604214/-1/OPINION08

and

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080227/NRSTAFF/802270302/-1/news1804

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    seachick - you're the best!

I'm not so sure they have 300' wide yard though... [​IMG]

5. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Quote:I tried to find mine as well but it seems like you have to pay to use this webite. Shouldn't information like that be available to everyone? If so, is there a free site I can check for mine?

6. Dace

Dace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    Keep in mind that if they have an HOA they may be subject to more stringent rules than the city/county code.
    I know I am [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by