1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know what a Hiline/Light Sussex would look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by j-a-m-i-k, Feb 13, 2014.

1. j-a-m-i-k

j-a-m-i-k New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    Australia
    Hi everyone

Our little silke/bantam has just hatched out 5 eggs. None of these are hers though. The eggs all came from our Hiline hens and a Light Sussex rooster. I'm desperate to see what there might look like and was wondering if anyone had a picture of this mix? Or could describe what they might look like?

Also wondering what a silkie/bantam/Light Sussex would look like, as out other Silkie/Bantam is sitting on some of her own eggs also from our Light Sussex roo

All help is greatly appreciated!

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    What colors are the other birds than the Light Sussex?

3. j-a-m-i-k

j-a-m-i-k New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    Australia
    They are just a plain brown colour, they look similar to an ISA brown

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    You should get some sex linked chicks. The classic red sex linked cross is Rhode Island Red cock over Light Sussex hen. From what I have read, your Hyline is already a hybrid from this cross. Hybrid to hybrid does not breed true for sex linked. I am not sure about hybrid back to one of the parents. Maybe 25% would be sex linked out of such a union? Not sure. Better to calculate from this thread...See this BYC thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information
    Best,
    Karen in western PA

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I respectfully disagree, there won't be any sex links from this cross. A red sex link needs a gold based rooster and a silver based hen, the OP is using the reverse. Plus, the hiline hen is already a sex link layer, so you've got a mishmash of genes there. I think your're going to get mostly white chicks, with red leakage or possibly black Colombian type markings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by