Anyone know what breed these roos are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nedw3, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Nedw3

Nedw3 Out Of The Brooder

So my daughter bought 5 bantam chicks last year that were suppose to be ameraucana but I'm pretty sure they are not. She got them at a local hardware store that had ordered them from Privett hatchery. I think the hens are Sussex but the roos I have no idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Rooster in pic 1 is a Blue Red Old English Game Bantam
    Rooster in pic 2 is a Lemon Blue Old English Game Bantam
    Hen in pic 2 is a Spangled Old English Game Bantam

3. Nedw3

Nedw3 Out Of The Brooder

Thank you very much. The two roos are the meanest little buggers I have ever seen. I can't walk into their run without them attacking my feet. Thank goodness they are little guys[​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree as well.

7. Nedw3

Nedw3 Out Of The Brooder

Thank you very much to all those who responded. It appears that its unanimous.

8. jophus

jophus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm going to disagree on the second pic. Both roos are Blue Reds, one is just lighter than the other. Look at the lower portion of the wing that is visible. See the red in the primaries, on the tip of the wing? That makes him a duckwing, and thus, a Blue Red. Lemon Blues are crow wings, in that all feathers below the wingbow are the same color.

If you really wanted to get technical, they both look more like Blue Wheatons to me, because of the color red they have. They are both nice birds, regardless of where the red came from, but I'm partial to the lighter blue. That's the color blue I like, or maybe just a tad darker. You would be amazed at what dubbing would do for both of them.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  9. Nedw3

Nedw3 Out Of The Brooder

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been very busy on the farm lately. I had to lookup dubbing and can't quite figure out why that would be done. What is the reason for dubbing?

10. jophus

jophus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is required of any OEGB past November of the year he was hatched for showing. But I dub all my (male) birds for another reason. OEGB are prone to frostbite, for some reason. I've had some really nasty combs I've had to dub in the dead of winter. I'd just as soon do it when it is warm. Plus, many like the look of a dubbed bird. If none of those things apply to you, there is absolutely no reason for dubbing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by