Anyone know what could be going on with this chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aflockoffive, Mar 19, 2013.

1. aflockoffive

aflockoffive New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hoping someone can give me a clue... We got 6 chicks about a week and a half ago. A few days ago both of the Americana's started opening their beaks constantly like they were struggling for air. We separated them immediately and the first night one of them died. The other one is on day three and seems to be through the worst of it, but is still doing some really odd things. She opens her beak and pecks her head up almost constantly. She makes kind of a sad whimpering sound :( she is eating and her poop looks normal. I put antibiotics in her water yesterday but have had to give her water with a dropper because she isn't really drinking it otherwise. Not sure what if anything else to do? I have heard that when chicks get sick they typically die very quickly & she doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but not better either...

2. jenifern

jenifern Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    it's hard to say what is wrong. I had a very sick chick last week too, it was only a few days old. It was peeping with every breath and same as yours, panting as though it had to breathe through it's mouth, but the brooder wasn't hot. I was sure it was going to die too. Gave it antibiotics in the water and babied it for about 3 days and it's much better aside from the occasional sneeze. You seem like you are doing all you can for it, keep it warm and continue with the antibiotics until it seems better. Good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by