Anyone know what I should expect from mt. healthy ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by UBkevy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I just grabbed 15 st run mt. healthy ameraucanas from my TSC. I have never had st run chicks or ameraucanas so I am looking for a bit of help. I have looked for info but I see a lot of conflicting info. Anyone know bird weight/sizes, egg size, egg production, ect I should expect? The males I will have to put in the freezer at the point they get loud so I hope they are of an ok size haha.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, they're Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas, so that's the first thing to know. [​IMG]

Easter Eggers, unlike Ameraucanas, are not a true breed, they're more of a type, or group, of different traits. In general they will give medium to jumbo sized green, blue, or brown eggs, they vary from flighty to friendly, the roosters can be a gamble on friendly or aggressive, and their production varies from very poor to quite good.

Each hatchery differs a little, so for Mt. Healthy, that would be something to ask to the hatcheries/breeders thread.

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I agree with Illia. They're hatchery birds, not purebreds. But fwiw, all the chicks I've ever gotten from Mt. Healthy for our 4-H group have been excellent, healthy and strong. But not show quality, fwiw...

4. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I am not looking for show birds. Just egg layers that lay well, are not crazy and if need be eatable haha. I just wish I knew what was coming they seem to have the chance to be or do anything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by