Anyone know what she is?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by runbikegrrl, Oct 7, 2012.

1. runbikegrrl

runbikegrrl Out Of The Brooder

I just inherited these birds from some folks that are moving. I know the brown is a Khaki Campbell, not sure what the pretty off-white with some black markings is-

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Maybe a Welsh Harlequin mix?

3. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Could be a gold phase Welsh Harlequin.

4. runbikegrrl

Thank you Kevin - I looked at a few pictures and it seems like that might be what she is. In any case she is so beautiful, and I am very happy to have her. This is the first time I have ever had ducks. They are so funny. It has also been very useful in taking the heat off my pullets. The hens are so baffled by the new additions that they are actually minding their own business and not harrassing the pullets anymore.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to Duckdom, runbikegrrl

[​IMG]

I am your state, though I may not be very close by.

Beautiful ducks you have, there.

Have you looked at the stickies? Good information there to help you manage the ducks, since they have some significant differences from chickens aside from looks, I mean. Like water management.

Enjoy the ducks, enjoy the forum!

6. runbikegrrl

Thank you for the welcome! I am in Groton, CT
    [​IMG]
    This is the set up they have had since they arrived. They seem quite happy with it. The white pipe comes from my sump pump (ground/rain water) It is contantly pumping so the pool stays clean. I have been letting them free range. They love the tiger slugs which is great since the hens do not. They have also been eatting a bit of the layer feed. I am most amazed at how quickly they figured out where to go to sleep at night. The first couple of nights I had to chase them around with a broom to get them in the crate...now they go right in at dusk when the hens go into their coop ( They can't go in the coop because of the ramp...so i set up a dog crate for them with straw in it.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am on the other side, near Waterbury.

Nice setup! Are they in a predator-safe place, at least at night? They seem to be quite susceptible to all kinds of carnivores and omnivores.

8. runbikegrrl

Yes, since they are in a dog crate they are eve safer then the chickens in the coop. Well other than a few curious house catss during the day our main predator is a Coopers Hawk. However, compared to the fisher cats, and other predators where I lived in VT...being in a highly urban area seems to be a blessing. Also the cats and the hawk seem to be getting a bit discouraged by the fact my lab/rottie mix is out in the yard with the flock when I at am home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by