1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know what this is????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blosing101, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Blosing101

Blosing101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you are talking about the feather loss, it looks like over breeding by a heavy rooster. If not someone is feather plucking/eating.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes it helps to explain what you are seeing. Are you concerned about the tail being off to one side? If so, that can be a hereditary defect called wry tail. I had a rooster with that once, and he functioned normally, breeding the hens, but I did not want chicks from him. If that is not the problem please give some more information.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Just a guess. A brownish-red chicken?

5. jolenejellybean

jolenejellybean Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Rooster's favorite?

6. Blosing101

Blosing101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    Sorry, I should of been more specific lol. I was talking about the feather loss. I was hoping it was not mites or disease. I tried checking for mites ( which was a little harder than I thought ) and did not see anything out of ordinary. THANK YOU all.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's what feathers look like when you have chicken(s) feather picking, but not to the point of extraction.

I have a couple of hens who are very low down in the pecking order that others find them undeserving of respect so they give them a few swipes with their beaks as they pass by. It's a kind of raking acting with the beak, and it ends up ruining the integrity of the feathers.

It's not, as some will hurry to tell you, a result of protein deficiency. It's a compulsive habit on the part of some chickens and some chicken being held in particularly low regard. I cannot tell you how to make it stop other than finding the culprits that are doing it and separating them.

I have three or four chickens in my flock who regularly do this. They wear pinless peepers all summer to try to diminish the damage they do, with minimal success. It's worth a try, though, to get some and put them on your pickers. It might help.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a Cockerel/Rooster.....Looks like treading damage on her Back.......

Cheers!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

I agree with both of these posts.

1 person likes this.
  10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The best way to figure out what is causing the frayed back feathers on your hen is to observe her interactions with her mates, including the rooster if you have one.

This is how I determined that the cause of the frayed back feathers on certain hens in my flock were caused by pecking action by other hens. Another common victim of this is the rooster in a flock. Mine gets frayed neck feathers from these hens compulsively beaking his feathers until they're nothing but a frowsy cowl by end if summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by