Anyone know where I can get 1 female Pekin duckling in Pa or upstate NY?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mrichard0930, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Mrichard0930

Mrichard0930 Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    I found hatcheries and they either only ship or only pick up but at least 2. I am having such a hard time finding a young female Pekin?
    Thanks

2. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Have you checked Craigslist? Pekins are a dime a dozen (for me) on there.

3. Mrichard0930

Sep 15, 2016
    Yes thank you -that's actually how I got my first ducklings in January on craiglist. First 4 We gambled but now we have one male Pekin one male mallard and a female Pekin ( the female mallard flew away). So I want another female to even out but most places don't know the sex of ducklings and I would prefer a duckling so I can raise it early on to our life style here of being handled regularly getting to live inside until fairly grown then free ranging. I've been watching craiglist and found a few grown 1 year old and 4 month old ducks which I may have to go with the 4 month olds since no luck with ducklings. I called a few hatcheries around here and they only ship or must buy at least 2 but mainly only have chickens right now.

4. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Ah, I see. I agree, ducks are much harder to get in fall/winter. Hope you're able to find one soon!

5. Mrichard0930

Sep 15, 2016
    Thank you. Yeah I keep checking craiglist I see them in other areas figures no Pa or upstate ny

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are Pekins being rescued somewhat regularly, having been dumped on ponds.

You might do a little reconnaisance in your area - check with vets' offices, animal control, etc.

If you do a rescue, be sure to quarantine till a fecal sample has been tested to check for parasites.

7. Mrichard0930

Sep 15, 2016
    Thanks that's a great idea I did go on petfinder and another duck rescue website with no luck I'll try local thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by