Anyone know where I stand by law? (UK)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jacyjones, Oct 22, 2009.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I had a letter from my employer yesterday saying they have made a mistake and have overpaid me by £1000 over a period of months. They say I have to pay this back but my husband thinks that by law they cannot get this back from me. Any ideas? I will have to pay in instalments if it has to go back but if they legally can't have it then I am hanging on to it!!

2. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Not sure but heres a bump!

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I don't know UK law, but that is legal here in michigan if they do overpay you. Most employers wouldn't expect you to pay it back in one lump sum though, especially as it's their fault for the overpayment. Go through and check their stuff out and see if in fact that's what happened.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I was overpaid once. One day the payroll department put me in a different job class for some reason.
    I am the one who caught it, because I always checked my pay stubs to be sure they paid me right.
    And I had to ague with the payroll department for 2 pay periods before they believed me. [​IMG]
    And yeah I had to pay it back. I set aside the overpayment so it wasn't a hardship.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't know about the UK, but here they get overpayment back. Be careful if you decide to refuse to pay. It might get you fired. Offer to pay them 1 pound per week. Then you would have job security for 1000 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by