Anyone know where to buy a rubber drain Plug for a metal water trough?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenzoo, Nov 21, 2011.

  1. chickenzoo

    chickenzoo Emu Hugger

    I have a 12" x 5 ft metal water trough..... the drain plug went missing, and it really needed a new one anyhow... Any ideas where to find one or how to make one?
  2. sfw2

    sfw2 Global Menace

    Do you know what size plug? My guess would be that the farm store where you got the tank might have spares. If not, a hardware store might.
  3. chickenzoo

    chickenzoo Emu Hugger

    I got it second hand....... so i'm not sure. I was thinking maybe a wine cork but it might be too small. I think the hole is about the size of a quarter.....
  4. chickened

    chickened Overrun With Chickens

    Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Autoparts stores have block plugs that are rubber with a nut andbolt with washers and you put it in the hole and tighten the bolt down and it expands and makes the seal.
  5. Bear Foot Farm

    Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

    Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Use a boat transom drain plug:

  6. Royd

    Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    There are a couple of options. First, check the specialty shelve in the big hardware stores, where they have the sliding drawers filled with bolts, clips, and odd things. Next, go to plumbing dept and get a rubber test plug. Just be sure of the dimension of the drain, and last but not least, go to the toystore and buy a rubber ball. Same thing, be sure of the diameter...They are a little difficult to get out, though.
  7. chickenzoo

    chickenzoo Emu Hugger

    Thanks ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by