Anyone like a good mystery????(UPDATED PICS...pic heavy)

savingpurple

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
NW Ohio
I have been a little dissapointed that my 20 week old white leghorn wasn't laying yet. She has been for 2 -3 weeks going to the nest bopx everyday,a nd then no white egg.

I watched her yesterday, and missed when she came out, but it couldn't have been longer than 15 minutes. Another hen was in there, I thought waiting for that particular nest box. When I went out, both hens were singing the egg song, and there was a light brown egg in the box.

So....today I seen her go in,and kept checking on the box. No other hen was in there, as they were all watching me, as to ask , why am I hanging out with out handing out treats! LOL

Seen her come out, and looked and sure as yesterday...got a freshly laid, warm to the touch, light brown egg, from my white leghorn.....

Do white leghorns lay brown eggs???? Confused !!!

She has been laying for weeks, as they are the same as I have been getting. Funny how you know the size, shape, and coloring of the different eggs. Slowly I am putting the facts together to know who is laying which egg. One of mine lays deep brown, with speckles. LOL

Thanks inadvance!

Last edited:
Great story! Could she possibly be a white rock or a white Rhode Island?
smile.png

N&MSchroeder :

Great story! Could she possibly be a white rock or a white Rhode Island?
smile.png

THat was my first thought as well. Post pics and we can id her for you!
yippiechickie.gif

Another funny part is, she is SO much calmer than her counter part Ms Pissy. Both to be identified when bought as White Leghorns. Now the true witch, Ms. Pissy is a white leghorn with the floppy comb, but purple butt, could be another breed, but looks the same, other than the comb. They were injured buddies:)

I went to look for pics of purple butt, and wow how they all have changed...grown ! I only have "baby" pics of her...LOL (found a few older ones)

So...that is my next day off (Sunday) project to update pics...

THanks...I am trying to remember what breeds we got in at work. The 2 injured ones got moved alot as the infirmary kept changing due to many chicks coming in, and lack of space. That is how they came to live here. AND many dollars more, a coop, run renovation, and many hours of laughs, some frustrations, and pure enjoyment, eggs of many sizes, shapes, and colors....

Wil update this post with updated pics. I have a couple to share now. But not maybe enough to decide. Better pics to follow.

85019_img_2206.jpg

You can see Ms Pissy crated in the back ground.....

85019_img_2207.jpg

Here she is on top of the crate wilth another. ....

85019_0716011754.jpg

Last edited:
You have a white rock hen...

I have 3 and get these beautiful pale brown eggs..

100_9368.jpg

One of my white rock girls

IMG_9894.jpg

WR Egg color compared to the darker brown from my RSL hens...

IMG_9913.jpg

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert at identifying breeds, but the white one in the pictures looks like a giant white to me. I had two leghorn hens and their general body shape was different: smaller, more pronounce upward tail feathers. I believe I have a giant white, which looks much like the one in the picture - she has rather stubby tail feather.
Of course I could be way off.

Here are a few updated pics......tonight to be exact. Looked at a few books at work today, and more confused than ever. When I looked at Plymouth Rock, they had red areas around the lobe. Looked at Columbian Rock, and they looked about the same.

She doesn't show the red part by the ear lobe, but I do agree she is more robust, then Ms Pissy the leghorn,. Big difference in body build.

Asked several co workers and we don't remember getting the plymouth rock in. We remember Columbian Rock....could she be that?

So without further ado....here she is....she is just as sweet to me as the leghorn.

I can just tap the roost and she comes to me....

85019_img_2253.jpg

85019_img_2254.jpg

Close up of the face and head....

85019_img_2255.jpg

85019_img_2256.jpg

The next 2 show the tail feathers up. Not as distinct as the leghorn, but still very upright.

85019_img_2257.jpg

Bad focus here, but you can see the tail feathers.....

85019_img_2258.jpg

So....again what do you think....still the same???? Curious..??

Should this be in the other forum of breed and gender? Sorry if I have it in the wrong spot.

Back
Top Bottom