Anyone line breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Saltysteele, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    I've got 3 hens and a rooster that are first generation crosses of coronation and light sussex from greenfire farms (parents were full coro's and full lights from greenfire farms).

my splits have given the 25% coro's, and according to Greenfire farms are considered 100% coronations (i emailed them a while back, asking). i set 11 eggs, all hatched, and 3 are coro's.

as far as my splits, there was nothing i cared to breed out, and they are big, beautiful birds with pleasant personalities/temperaments and excellent layers.

my baby coro's are only 4 weeks old, so who knows what their future holds.

anyway, it appears that anything goes with chickens? with hogs you can breed mother to son or father to daughter, but not brother to sister. i understand cattle have another rule.

are there any rules with chickens? i'd like to get more coro's (i don't NEED anymore, but i'd LIKE to [​IMG] ).

you always see people selling eggs, but how do you know what you're breeding to when you buy eggs to raise and propagate further? you could be buying cousins, you could be buying brothers and sisters.

just curious, because if i did sell any of my chicks, i don't want to sc**w anyone buying them that has intentions of breeding

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:You can do the same with chickens. You can also occasionally breed brothers to sisters.

Many people line breed & doing correctly you can use it for many, many years and not have to get new blood. Will try to get more info. for you later.

3. Saltysteele

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    Great! Thank you!

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    As punky stated linebreeding is a normal practise.

That stated there are several things to consider:

1. Some breeds holdup better under inbreeding/linebreeding than do others.
    2. There are different forms of linebreeding (as you alluded too) some more intense than others.
    3. Never use inbreeding/linebreeding with substandard fowl.
    4. To work successfully you need to start with good depth to your program. A reasonable number would be 6 hens and 2 cocks.
    5. Inbreeding/linebreeding requires large hatches and extreme culling.

5. Saltysteele

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    thank you for your tips, they're much appreciated! [​IMG]

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:There's a real expert for ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by