Anyone made this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cha Cha Chicken, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
  2. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I am not the builder in the family but the design is similar to one in Chicken Coops for Dummies that they say costs $200 using all new materials. There is a link to a video at the top of this page or the home page of them building it. I hope this helps:)
    Sorry , it doesn't seem to be there now, I promise that it was there yesterday. Maybe you can find the link by going to Chicken Coops for Dummies:/
    I found it again, it's the second thread in Coop & Run.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

This is very similar to a coop design that i used to sell plans for on ebay. It works great, i always recommended the entry ramp go up under the bottom thru the floor, which helped eliminate openings in the sides and help retain heat in cold climates, and that you screen the space under the coop for weather protected run space in addition to regular run. I think i still have very detailed copies of the plan which i could part with for 5 bucks. If interested email is [email protected]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It looks like a good coop. But... with a total of 16 square feet, recommendations are for a minimum of 4 square feet per chicken. The website states it will hold 8. In reality, to ensure the health and happiness of your flock, it should only house 4. 4 sq ft /chicken inside, 5+ sq ft per chicken outside.

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Do a search for "Purina Coop"

6. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I built one similar from wood that I had laying around, works great. I think I have 15 chickens in mine but its a bit larger than that one in the instructions, I will try to get my dimensions when I get time.

7. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Also.... anyone tried making a coop out of a wooden shipping crate? I saw one on craigslist that about 6X4. I figured maybe with some legs, nest boxes, perches, etc. could make a pretty good coop? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by