Anyone make homemade laundry soap?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by yotetrapper, May 31, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I wanted to try it, and I found a recipe that calls for Fels Naptha (or something like that) bar laundry soap but I'm not having any luck finding that.

Anyone have a recipe that doesn't use that, or else, do you know where I might find some?

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
  3. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a Safeway Grocery Store, they carry FelsNaptha , if I am not mistaken I think I even saw it at Walmart.

Fels Naptha is also good for poison oak, ivy... rub wet soap on the area and let it dry

4. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I checked my walmart already. And I dont have a safeway. [​IMG]

Can order online, but with shipping and everything, dont think you'd be saving much money.

5. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    If you have a Coborn's in the area I know they have it or at least mine does.

6. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    It's usually in the bar soap section.
    Also I just bought some 'homemade laundry soap'
    with FelsNaptha, Borax, and Arm&Hammer Washing Soda in from this site. Used it today for the first time and it works great. Just 2 TBSP per load.

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/2.htm

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I make all my own soap and stuff starting right from the goat's milk...but her way seems so much easier. LOL

8. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I've made it in the past.... but not for the past two years (moved too much.. and still trying to settle in) but it's easy. I found the fels naptha at a grocery store. Not the walmart/kmart/meijers types...they didn't carry it. Just a smaller grocery store. You can always ask your local grocer to order it and carry it for you. Or I'm sure you could find it online. Do a search for homemade laundry soap and you may find a recipe w/ different ingredients. I liked the one I used... it worked great, and worked well for my kids sensitive skin too. I think I even made it w/ Dove soap b4 when I was out of the other.

Here's a recipe for liquid laundry detergent:

1/3 bar of fels (grated)
    1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Soda (found in laundry aisle)
    1/2 cup borax

grate soap and put in a pan w/ 3 quarts water. Heat until dissolved. Stir in other ingredients, mix and heat until dissolved. cook for 15 minutes (will be thick and syrupy) remove from heat and pour 1 quart hot water in bucket, then add soap mix. Add 5 and a half quarts cold water. Mix until well blended. set aside for 24 hours. Use half a cup for each load. (store in a 5 gallon bucket)

My mom was taking care of my family during one of my many bedrests and she made it in a powder form. She grated a bar of soap to equal 1 cup... added 1/2 cup borax, and 1/2 cup A&H Soda. Use 1 or 2 tablespoons per load.

Hope this helps!

9. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yep, thanks. If I can just find washing soda and fels naptha without having to order it, I'll be fine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by