Anyone make Keeflies?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ThreeGlovers, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ThreeGlovers

ThreeGlovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    Boy they are good to eat.. [​IMG] ..But sure are not so much fun to roll out the dough [​IMG] and stuff the filling. Am I alone in this or am I not doing something right?

Bo

2. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I have eaten them before, but I have never tried to make them. Do you have the recipe?

3. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    here is what i cameKEEFLIES
    Makes about 10 dozen

FOR THE DOUGH:
    4 cups flour
    1 lb butter*
    6 egg yolks
    1/2 pint sour cream
    FOR THE FILLING:
    1 1/2 lb finely chopped walnuts
    6 egg whites
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 lb powdered sugar.

TO PREPARE THE DOUGH:**
    Mix flour and butter as for a pie crust; set aside.

Mix sour cream and egg yolks, add to to flour/butter mixture. Work until dough is smooth. Form into one big ball. Chill several hours.

Form dough into balls the size of a large marble. Chill overnight.

WHEN READY TO BAKE:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

To make the filling, beat egg whites until frothy, add powdered sugar, lemon juice... mix thoroughly. Add in finely chopped walnuts.

Roll dough balls on floured board into paper thin circles.***
    Place filling in center.**** Fold into the shape of a crescent.
    Bake on parchment paper in 350 degree F oven for 18-20 minutes, until slightly brown. Parchment paper = perfect cookie bottoms every time..it doesn't stick and it doesn't stink up the house like silicone cookie sheets. Cool on wire racks.

Dust with powdered sugar.
    HINTS:

*NEVER use margarine with this recipe...always use real butter..it tastes and keeps better...besides, it is better for you than margerine.

**I use a Kitchen Aid mixer to make the dough...cut the butter into the flour first, then add the sour cream and egg yolks.. just don't over beat it. Just as good as if you did it by hand IMHO

***I use a pasta roller attachment for my Kitchen Aid...Flatten the balls and strech them a bit...then place through the roller on setting 4 or 5. This makes the process go a lot faster when you are making several hundred to send out.

****Use about a teaspoon of filling per cookie...place in the center of dough circle and fold in half...roll into a crescent shape.

link to pictures

http://www.therecipelink.com/mf/3/11365

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have never heard of these before. Glad ml posted the recipe for them! I am going to try them today! Oh my! Did I say that after being in the kitchen for the past 4 days cooking?!?! Boy am I asking for a punishment or what?!?! [​IMG]

5. ThreeGlovers

ThreeGlovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    Yes, that is pretty much just like our recipe except we use pecans instead of walnuts. Sorry I haven't gotten back we have had family around too much to be here much.

Bo

6. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks ml for the recipe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by