Anyone making Homemade Christmas Gifts?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Bleenie, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

This year I decided to give homemade gifts to my family for Christmas, is anyone else doing this? I would love to know/see what you're making!

I am making each person a pair of scented(aromatherapy) rice heat packs. Joint/bone problems seem to run in our family so they will definitely get used! I am also hoping to give a goats milk soap(bought online) along with them. I will be making removable(for the microwave) rice bags out of Muslin fabric & a "decorative" bag for the hot rice to go into so the bag can be washed if need be. I have plenty of plain white rice here and just ordered the Essential Oils, that will be added to the rice, yesterday.

Since I got everything on sale, cheap or free, I am at $32 for at least 6 people's christmas gifts... MUCH better than last year!

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    That is a pretty cool gift. Want to adopt? lol

I am tatting angels to use in making bookmarks. Three of my sisters are in book clubs and my mom falls asleep alot with a book in her lap. I may also make book covers for them. For the resto fo the family , they are cetting samples of my canned goods.

Besides that, I will give them to the rest of my bookclub. If I get enough done.

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    WONDERFUL IDEAS! [​IMG]

I had thought that I might crochet a blanket for several couples this year - and then I turned around and it was the end of November -
    DOH!
    [​IMG]

The rice hot packs are a really good idea and there's still time for that.

It's sort 'hokey' but I'm going to make an old fashioned, hand made, coupon book for my Dad. We lost Mom this year and I thought that a series of 'Sunday Lunches' would be something that would get him out of his house and get him some meals that he's not had much lately. Things like lasagna, pot roast, salmon cakes, homemade stew and cornbread.

4. Bama1

Bama1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    DeKalb County, Alabama
    I'm making crochet mittens, quilts, cornhole game boards, knitted legwarmers, tatting ornaments, and homemade chocolate covered cherries and Martha Washington candy. Why, because my 16 year old daughter wrecked the car and I have a $500 deductible, goodbye shopping money, hello late nights crafting with supplies I already have...thank goodness.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That sucks about the wreck(and money!). I have always loved getting something that was handmade, hopefully everyone you're gifting to can appreciate the effort that goes into making something by hand.

Here's the first heat pack, ALMOST finished.... I accidentally made the rice bag too small so I will have to make a new one for it and use this one for a smaller bag. I'm pretty happy with it though :). this one is for my mother who doesn't exactly like authority, should make for a good laugh. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is 12" x 6" and the second one is 46" x 6". It velcro's closed but i am not sure if i really like the way it looks.... really wishing i had a button holer for the sewing machine now.

6. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Just curious. The heated rice is very clever, but is there something that can be used as a cold pack? I know that in a pinch, frozen veggies work great - but that would just be nasty as a long term thing (freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw.....)

Bleenie - those are SOO cute!!! I think the velcro closure looks nice.

Bama1 - so sorry about the wreck. Glad that your daughter wasn't' hurt.

7. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Bleenie I think your rice bags look great!!! I'm also making some homemade gifts this year. So far I've made Plum Jelly, some wax tarts (I'll pick up a few tart warmers to go with them because I don't have access to the Ceramic shop to make any this year) and an Altered Stretch Canvas for my Best Friend. I also make all of my Christmas Cards each year.

Michelle

8. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I make candy and cookies for my family and friends - chocolate covered cherries, caramels, fudge, truffles, toffee, gingersnaps, soft molasses cookies, etc. I have a lot of old family recipes from my Grandmother, and I am the only one in my family that has ever made them. My Grandmother has been gone for over 25 years, but the memories the treats bring back are priceless. It's probably not much cheaper than buying gifts - all of my family is far from me, so I have to ship boxes - but it's much more personal.

9. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    This is my busy time of year at work [I work at a performing arts venue and I've got the Nutcracker coming out of my ears this month!!] so I'll not be making anything now but will be gifting some of the things I made this summer. Canned goods from our garden, relishes, pickles, jams, etc. I hope to have time to make a bunch of pumpkin fruit breads from pumpkin that I pureed. I love to make them at Christmas and I'll gift them with the canned items. Add some fresh eggs in a basket and it's a great gift for neighbors and even family that aren't around to share in the bounty the rest of the year.

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    If you have a vacuum sealer, you can make them easy. I always have 3 or 4 in the freezer, all different sizes. Just mix 1/2 water and 1/2 rubbing alchohol and they don't freeze solid, they stay slightly slushy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by