1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone mix Dominique and Black cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chrissistevens, Apr 11, 2015.

1. chrissistevens

chrissistevens New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    Looking for info about eggs and how they look. Thanks!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Dominque X Black Cochin will lay large, brown eggs. If your Black Cochin is a rooster and is crossed with a Dominque hen, you will get Black Sex Link chicks. Newly hatched male chicks will have a white spot on top of their black heads; the tops of newly hatched female chicks heads will be solid black. Of course, the sex linking will not work in reverse (Dominique rooster X Black Cochin hen).

3. maryfab88

maryfab88 New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    Is there any further updates or info on a dominique roo x black cochin hen? I have a couple in the incubator.

4. freedom1320

freedom1320 New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    I'm curious as well, I have a black cochin hen and a dominque roo, she is now sitting on eggs and I'm curious as to what I'm going to get. Out of my entire flock, she is the only one to get broody.. I have several breeds and she is one of the youngest (15-18 months) and none of the other hens have any desire to sit on eggs, this will be my first time dealing with this. Usually I either get chicks from a friend or buy juveniles.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

If your rooster is pure, you'll get all black barred chicks. Male will only have one copy of the barring gene, so you wont' be able to sex them by the traditional rules of sexing pure bred barred birds.

they should all have rose combs and yellow skin. Larger than the Dominiques, smaller than the Cochins. Probably kind of fluffy like the Cochins, with lightly feathered legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by