Anyone mix your own Coturnix food?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BooneHillbilly, Dec 10, 2010.

1. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Whats your recipe if you do

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
  3. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Do You Have Any Feed Mills Within Driving Distance? They Should Be Able To Provide You With A Starter Or At Least Make This Formula For You

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I feed a 50-50% gamebird crumbles & scratch.

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THATS GREATLY DECREASING THEIR PROTIEN INTAKE

6. Thegamekeeper

Thegamekeeper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    I give my birds quality crumb, turkey crumb, millet, egg food, grit, wheat, corn, meal worms.

7. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have a mill about sixty miles from me. I stopped by on my way to deer camp and they can mix anything I need. So you would deviate from the coturnix recipe on the link?

8. Hoppelchen

Hoppelchen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
  9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Dont Use Grower Or Layer... All My Gamebirds Get Strait Gbs 30% From Hatch To Dispatch. Dispite What Some Studies Show Or Recommend I Personally Have Best Results Overall With Strait Gbs. I Get Bigger Better Conditioned Breeders That Lay More Eggs With Better Hatchability. I Get Chicks That Grow Fast, Strong, And Have Every Opportunity To Acheive Their Maximum Potential. I Also Feed Gbs To My Chicken Chicks As Well For Strong Health Fast Growth And Best Survival Rates To Adolescence (tho The Chicken Chicks Only Get It For 6-8 Wks). Until 6 Mos Ago This Was A Pruina Farm... The Only Thing I Used Was Purina Startrena Gbs, I Did Deviate And Try Manna Pro Gbs With No Ill Effects, But The Price Difference Was Not Worth The Change And Extra Logistics To Get It. I Now Have A Local Mill That Custom Makes My Gbs For About 58% Of The Price Of Manna Pro And Closer To 48% Of The Price For Purina. It Is Custom Made To Order Using The Startrena Formula... The Difference Is What I Get From The Mill Is In Mash Form Rather Than Crumble.

Buying Direct From The Mill Has Advantages And Disadvantages. The Mill Is A Minmum 1000lb Order As They Have To Re-configure To Make It, So 1000 Lbs Minumum... Now That My Farm Has Grown Its No Big Deal... I Go Thru 1000-1200 Lbs Of Gbs A Month And Approx 800-900 Lbs Chicken Layer Feed A Month (which I Get From The Mill Cheaper Than I Can From A Local Feed Store..) In My Case The Advantages Are Price, Fresh Feed Custom Made To Order, And Doing Business Face To Face With Folks Who Have A Direct Interest In Your Business. The Disadvantages Are Minimum Size Order, Tho It Doesnt Affect Me, And The Packaging--- Feed Is Packed Loose In 55 Gallon Plastic Food Barrels... 3 Per 1000 Lbs To Be Exact. Now This Adds A Slight Degree Of Logistical Difficulty In That Do The Math... These Barrels By The Time You Figure The Feed And Weight Of The Barrel Itself Are Weighing 400 Lbs Or So. I Do Not Have Heavy Machinery To Assist, Barrels Are Man-handled Out Of The Trucks And Placed On 2 Wheel Dolly, Leaned Back As Far As Safe And Wheeled To Their Destination Then Man-handled Into The Feed Sheds. While This Task Is More Strenuous Than Carrying Feed Bags It Is Less Work Overall... 3 Trips With Alot Of Lifting Vs 20-24 Trips With 50lb Bags Of Feed. The Other Disadvantage Is Storing Them... Before I Could Buy Bags As Needed On A Weekly Basis And Feed Was Stored In Clean Garbage Cans Here As Brought In Until Used... Now I Get 1 Months Worth Of Feed At A Time And Have Had To Make A Place To Store 3 Barrels + Bags Of Chicken Feed. The Logistics Of Pickup Are Not Easy Either... I Get Approx 2000lbs Of Feed At Once, Add In Another 1000lbs Of Cow Feed For My Children's 4h/ Ffa Market Steer Projects Each Month... Now We're Up To 3000lbs And An Extra Stop Each Way At The Ex's House To Get Return Barrels And Then Again To Drop Of Feed... And More Heavy Work. As Stated 1000lbs Minimum--- I Have Another Byc'er In The Nearby Area That Got In On The Deal With Me... So We Order 1300-1500lbs Of Feed At A Time Under My Farm Account And He Meets Me At The Mill And Pays For And Takes His Cut. I Dont Have To Handle Anything On That End And It Helps A Fellow Byc'er Out... So I Figure Thats A Win- Win. So One Saturady A Month Is Feed Day! [​IMG] We Do It All At Once With 2 Trucks From My End And The Other Byc'er Covers His End. That Pretty Much Shoots 1 Of The Few Days I Have To Do Farm Work. Another Disadvantage Is Paying For 1 Months Feed All At Once... If You Live On Tight Budget As I Do It Takes A Lil Pre Planning. As Does The Feed Order Itself, Since Its Made To Order Custom They Need 2 Days Notice Before I Can Pick It Up. My Mill Works On A Barrel Exchange, Kinda Like The Old 16oz Returnable Pop Bottles? (jeez I Just Really Dated Myself There) You Pay A 1 Time Refundable Deposit On Barrels The 1st Time You Get Feed, Then Each Time After That You Simply Return And Exchange Your Empties For Full Barrels At No Cost... Decide To Quit Buying Feed? Return Your Empties For Your Deposit And You're Even. These Are Simply The Circumstance Surrounding My Local Mill And May Vary Greatly At Yours. Personally So Far I Am Very Happy With The Deal As It Is Working Out Nicely, The Feed Is Great, Very Good Quality Fresh Feed - Custom Made To Order, The Price Cant Be Beat, The Service Is Outstanding! No More "this What We Have" And No More "oh We're Out Of That" , And We Have The System Worked Out To An Artform.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:THATS GREATLY DECREASING THEIR PROTIEN INTAKE

They stay perfectly healthy on this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by