1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone my chick is dieing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oesdog, Sep 10, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    My wee chick is now about 14 weeks old but is quite small for her age. She has been struggling on for weeks having been helped to hatch and having really bad eye infections and vitamin def etc. So she has not been that well. Her best mate is our baby roo Blue a cream Legbar - who never leaves her. Recently I noticed that our older chicks in the other pen were really big apart from one who was falling behind. So we decided to put her in with the other two hand reared chicks so she could get food etc. Since then the tiny pullet chick omlet has been acting a bit odd. I thought it was vitamins needed again -? She has been staying in the coop and not comming out except when I come to the run. Then she comes out and eats and drinks fine. ( There has been NO fighting at all in that pen!) Today she was just sitting in the coop on the floor most of the day and when I lifted her out and watched her, she is trembling in her legs when she stands on them?????? I don;t understand this as she was doing really well. Anyhow we got the other pullet chick out and put her back with her brothers and sister and mum in the other pen as she is doing ok and grown this last week. But my little pullet ??????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am soooo worried about her - have I damaged her because she wasn;t able for the stronger bird??????? She deffinately wouldn;t hold her own against all the other bigger birds so she is just in her own pen with Blue the Legbar roo - she is a Cuckoo Maran. I don;t want to lose her - does anyone have any idea what could be wrong this time? I have put so much effort and money into keeping her alive. It is sad to see her failing again.

[​IMG]

Oesdog - [​IMG] I sooooooooo want to breed from these two - Folk have told me if I put the Legbar with the Maran I may get babies that grow up to lay Blue/green eggs! The Legbar carries the Blue egg gene

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Decided to bring the chicks into the house. Omlet is very weak and just sits and has her beak open. No one responded here so I am just trying my best. I don;t think she will be here tomorrow.

Oesdog - I never saw her so ill.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Maybe try some cooked egg to boost her protien? I don't know a lot about chickens yet but I am sending [​IMG] [​IMG] to you and Omelet. Keeping all [​IMG] [​IMG] for her!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Are there any bloody poos? Have you thought about coccidiosis? Are her feathers all fluffed up?

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:No bloody poo but a bit runny. Nothing unusual for her. Her feathers are always puffed up. I can;t see any injury. I don;t have any meds here for cocci - I tried to find out the UK names for the meds and can;t yours are only available in US not Ireland! She has had Vitamins in her water today and yesterday. I gave her egg today but its hard to keep blue out of her food! I brought them in tonight. They are both in a brood box - though heat lamp not on as they are warm in the house. I am trying to keep her alive I love her soooo much and she is such a trooper. Today she sat in the coop by the door all day so she could watch Blue and he goes to check on her all the time - So I thought if she is going to die I don;t want them seperated they have been together all their lives.

I am praying Omlet will live but its always been up and down for this chick. I mean the poor thing never moved for 12 hrs when she hatched and even then we said she is unlikely to make it. I mean she was in her shell for 28days. We know this is fact because she is a Cuckoo Maran so she was a bought egg like Blue. Not one of ours or she would be a mutt as our chicks are X breeds. So we know the date they went into the incubator. They are both lucky to be here at all.

I am hoping a night in the warm will help and if she is alive in the morning I will keep giving her Vitamins and egg and nursing her again. It feels like back to square one. Maybe she got trampled by Betty and Blue getting food Omlet would never cope with the big girls in the big house would she? I wish she was strong and could live and have fun and lay eggs and have baby chicks next year. I feel so sad that she is always on this roller coaster ride up and down and at deaths door. Is there anything else I can do for her???????????????????????????????????????????

Oesdog

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Gosh- the only thing I could think of was to give the med for coccidiosis just in case. I guess you would have noticed worms, lice, mites, etc.? Maybe check for these things if you haven't?

I hope your little peep makes it!

[​IMG]

7. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    If I can;t get meds for Cocci - is there anything else I can give her to help - I mean its night here anyhow. What can I give her that would help. Can she survive without meds????? I mean there must be something I can give her????

Oesdog [​IMG]

8. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I don't have much experience but I had a hen who was in bad shape one night and I force fed her (pried her beak open and inserted little bites of food) scrambled egg and yogurt. She was better the next morning. Good luck to you.

9. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    You might want to try some cooked egg yolk mixed with plain yogurt- it will get some good protein into her. If you have electrolyte formula you could add a few drops to the egg yolk mixture (or use some sugar water). Try to get her to take some of the food - even if it is a small drop at a time and see how it goes.

Wishing you the best -

10. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Well got her through the night. We brough both chicks into the house as Blue wont leave her and if she died I didn;t want them to be apart. Anyhow this morning she had some egg - haven;t gotten to the store to pick up Yogurt yet which she loves! Last time she was ill like this she was given Sweet rice pudding! It got her going again. She is eating a bit and drinking the water with the vitamins in which is good news but she is acting like she is drunk and falling over all the time. I am worried incase she got injured by Blue and Betty trampled a bit getting to food. HEr toes are starting to curl up again which is back to having a Vitamin issue. Yet she ate well and the same as the other birds before this problem?????????? I don;t know whats wrong or why she starts to fail and not thrive for no apparent reason. I can;t keep bringing her in the house and molly-coddling her every few weeks. I so want her to be a strong big Girl like my Gerty the other Cockoo Maran we have.

Anyhow if anyone has any Idea on why this is happening ever few weeks please let me know. Maybe Betty get her upset because she is so close to Blue???? Well Betty is back with her mum now in the big pen so thats ok. We moved that group to the bigger pen yesterday so they have more room and Betty can easily join them. We have to try to intigrate that group back into the main Hen group and Bertha doesn;t like that idea much. But they are right next to eachother now with only wire between so she will have to get used to the idea.

As for Blue and little Omlet I don;t hold much hope they will ever join that group and Omlet is far too ill and weak and they will trample her to death easily. Blue is a great guy but there are two other Roos in the larger group and I don;t think he could protect Omlet against them. I am so hoping she rallies. I think they will have to start a group of their own if she does and they will be my specials. Blue/Green layers. I do want to breed from them but have to make sure little Omlet hasn;t any hireditory issues. Gerty is a good Maran who has given very strong chicks so I know Omlet is a bought in chick NOT one of Gertys. Duck is a fantastic Roo from Gerty but he is a mutt Maran x leghorn. And a Roooo - sadly! It is hard work to get them all healthy and strong especially if you want to breed for spacific reasons like egg colouring!
    We simply don;t get the lovely Blue/ green eggs here at all. But I have heard that the Cotswald legbar lays pink and green/blue pastle coloured eggs which is interesting. You dont; get the Legbars in the states but they are a type of EE only these have Yellow legs not green!

Anyhow I am rambling and thats a different thread? - [​IMG]
    I am just relieved Omlet is here this morning and looks a bit brighter even if she looks like she had one too many last night?

Oesdog

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by