1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone near Sacramento, CA have fertile Silkie eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CALI CHICK, Mar 5, 2012.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    I would like to buy (6-12) silkie eggs from a local breeder (within an hour 1/2 of Sacramento). I prefer B/B/S from SQ parents.
    I have a broody Buff Orpington and am curious to see if she would stay with the eggs 21 days. If not, I have an incubator and would have that on standby...just in case! I recently hatched chicks from shipped eggs, but would prefer to pick them up locally.

2. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Hmmmmm, that's what I was afraid of. Maybe I should just put someones farmyard mut eggs under her. But, I'll be honest, I want more silkies. [​IMG] And, I want to incubate local silkie eggs real bad. (I'm hooked) [​IMG]

3. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I believe there might be a breeder up your way. She's located in Lincoln. Not sure if she sells hatching eggs but here is her website/blog. You could always contact her and ask. I had a friend last year that bought chicks from her. I know you want eggs though. If she doesn't sell eggs she might know someone in the area that does. Good luck.

http://californiacountryranch.blogspot.com/p/silkie-chicks-all-ages-show-and-pet.html

Kim

4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend of mine talked to her about eggs last year she does sell them and I think the price was around $30 a doz.

5. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    [​IMG]I actually bought my first 4 silkies from her and yes she is only an hour and 20 minutes away. Those chicks all turned out to be roosters, unfortunately, so had to be re-homed. I didn't know Shari sold fertile eggs so thank you for the tip. [​IMG] Maybe I'll send her an e-mail if nothing else works out.

In the mean time, I did find a "neighbor" about 10 minutes from me with some black silkie eggs. One of the hens is a Silkie/Sebright mix, the other hen is a black silkie and they both have a black silkie rooster with them. I'm also going to buy some of his Americaunas (EE) eggs so I can eventually add some "color" to the egg basket each morning. I can probably sell the roosters. He only charges $8 a dozen, plus I won't use $40 in gas money to drive so far.

Thank you so much for responding. -Cali

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  6. tayy

tayy New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    by,tayy i want and need eggs for a project and something to love [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. oldcarpenter

oldcarpenter New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Citrus Heights, California
    Do you want more Silkie eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by