anyone near Wilkes county NC??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Jul 16, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I am a newbie at the whole chicken thing, and am having a hard time locating hatching eggs. i honestly can't afford to pay 20+ dollars for a dozen eggs to be shipped to me, and every effort I have made to find contacts to buy eggs from locally hasn't panned out. I bought my last couple dozen at a local small animal auction, but being new to this I didn't realize the poor quality of the eggs I was sold until they were in the 'bator. Lots of porous eggs, had sat waiting for a while, calcifications, the whole nine yards. Only got about a 40% hatch rate and I know from the lengths I went to that conditions were nearly as good as I could get them in my incubator so I honestly don't think it was me this time. Anyone know anyone near me to sell me some eggs? Breed isn't important--just want to hatch some cuties.

2. Kenneth Flippen

Kenneth Flippen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    is Mt. Airy to far? there's a guy here who has eggs I just picked up 5 dozen tonight but they were refrigerated he has kept them for me to hatch in the past I haven't asked him to this year but last year I had good hatch rates with his eggs they were arcuanas he has rhode island reds now with a few arcuanas in the mix I can find out what he has for sure. I ocasionally go to Tony's auction in N. wilksboro on friday nights and would be glad to bring them if I do.

Kenneth Flippen

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Sent you a pm--thanks so much!!!

4. SuperChickMama

SuperChickMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Northwestern NC
    I live in Wilkes....:D we make our own babies!

5. basser

basser Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Remember you only paid $2.00 - $2.50 for those eggs. So 40 percent hatch rate isn't that bad. The last eggs I got from a hatchery cost me $18 per doz. & out of 4 doz only 3 hatched . & I've done this forever

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by