Anyone nervous about Bird Flu?

Sharon Bee

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Ontario
In the news recently we have heard about the new strain of Bird Flu that is infecting humans in China. Is anyone else worried or nervous about this disease and how it might affect us and our chickens?? :(

In the news recently we have heard about the new strain of Bird Flu that is infecting humans in China. Is anyone else worried or nervous about this disease and how it might affect us and our chickens?? :(

I'm in the UK and Just registered with DEFRA Department For Environment Food and Rural Agriculture

they have updates on All things and BirdFlu at the moment is we are officially FREE of it

china is far away I think it would come to UK before it hits USA unless the wind is blowing East for a very very long period of time

so I wouldn't worry plus im assuming that USA has put restrictions on China when traveling into USA and screening people to make sure no one is caring the flu airborne

HECK NO!!! The media blows EVERYTHING out of control. Drug companies are going to come up with a new flu shot and scare everyone who's willing to be afraid into spending the money to get this shot so big Pharmaceutical can get more money. Just like in the beginning of this past winter. I have never seen the media and news outlets push the flu shot so much in my life. It's joke. Just like SARS and H1N1. It's all hype for the pharmaceutical companies. So in answer to your question, the "new" bird flu from China H7N9 is another big hoax. I'm not worried in the least.

Kelly
✿​
Our Country Chronicles
✿​

Its only ANOTHER scare.

We have had so much fuss over bird flue, pig flue, mad cow disease, even goat flue!!!

Just need dog and cat flue next.

It is all about large drug companies making money for vaccines.

Mostly the people that got sick or died have been actually living with thousands of chickens - working and sleeping around them for years. Its, not the same as having a few birds on the farm, or in you back yard.

The sad thing is the way people over react. I had a customer in my shop who was heartbroken when her neighbour shot all her fancy chickens and fantail doves when she was out. The neighbour said he did it as he was afraid to get the bird flue.

We also had an lovely elderly lady in tears coming into the shop trying to give us her pet parrot as she thought she was going to get bird flue from it. (even though is had never been outside the house in its life). Also one country slaughtered hundreds of endangered migrating cranes as they thought they would bring in bird flue. sad.

OMG Jak!! Never heard of people killing cranes. That is totally over-reacting. Yes, I do know that the people in China probably "live" with their chickens and maybe in not the cleanliness of conditions. But with all the travelling between countries, our countries have to be vigilant. I'm in Canada.

OMG Jak!! Never heard of people killing cranes. That is totally over-reacting. Yes, I do know that the people in China probably "live" with their chickens and maybe in not the cleanliness of conditions. But with all the travelling between countries, our countries have to be vigilant. I'm in Canada.
Totally agree with Jak. It's ALL hype. I wish people would just look back on the "other' so called big flu scares and realize that just like they were all blown out of proportion, this is as well. It's a big money making hoax for big Pharm. So sad to hear about your customer Jac. That is absolutely horrible. People need to start using common sense when weeding through all the crap in the media.

I wouldn't call it all hype. Swine flu shut down my school for three weeks when it came through a few years ago. More than 60% of the students and staff had it, but most cases were not really bad, just enough to keep you in bed for a day or two. Some elderly people and babies died, and some people were laid up for a week. The 'regular' flu can do that too though, a bad year is a bad year.

The bird flu in China scares me because I am afraid the government will panic and try to wipe out backyard birds if they become a vector. If that stuff spreads to the US, we might have to worry.

I just wish there was better screening of passengers flying out of China....When a disease like this appears, our borders should be immediately closed to passengers flying in from China until WHO gives the "all clear". Because once there is an infected person here then all Hell can break loose.

I just wish there was better screening of passengers flying out of China....When a disease like this appears, our borders should be immediately closed to passengers flying in from China until WHO gives the "all clear". Because once there is an infected person here then all Hell can break loose.
Sharon, honestly I don't understand why you are so afraid. Do you remember when the media was "trying" to scare everyone with SARS? There was never a huge outbreak in our country. There were reported cases here, but so what? Don't buy into the scare. It's exactly what they want you to do. Then back in 2010 there was the big "swine flu (H1N1)" scare. Did you see a massive outbreak in our country? No, and no. As with any flu, those who have compromised immune systems already are the ones at risk. We lose people to the flu who are not well to being with, which is nothing new. Don't let them scare you. This is no different than anything else they've politicized. If you want to be afraid or alarmed of anything? Be alarmed and enraged at what our Govnt. is allowing big agriculture to do to our food chain with GMO's.
387275_634637783216591_1500850231_n.jpg

Now THAT is something to be alarmed about!

I wouldn't call it all hype. Swine flu shut down my school for three weeks when it came through a few years ago. More than 60% of the students and staff had it, but most cases were not really bad, just enough to keep you in bed for a day or two. Some elderly people and babies died, and some people were laid up for a week. The 'regular' flu can do that too though, a bad year is a bad year.

The bird flu in China scares me because I am afraid the government will panic and try to wipe out backyard birds if they become a vector. If that stuff spreads to the US, we might have to worry.
That is exactly what hype is. So what if people in your school got the flu. That happens all over the country, every year and has happened since I was a kid and I'm 47 years old now. The flu makes you sick. Has for ages. So what? It's absolutely normal. And those with compromised immune systems or heart issues will and always have been at risk more than someone healthy. This is nothing new. It is hype.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom