Anyone North of the 40th parallel plant garlic this year?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by aart, Nov 6, 2014.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just got mine in yesterday, maybe the last mild day of the year....187 cloves of German White.
    Watered it in and the rain should finish the job today then I can mulch with ~6" ofstraw. Didn't fertilized first this year, usually use rabbit manure dug in under cloves, will side dress in spring and summer.
    [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think I'm north of you. I just leave a lot of my garlic in the ground year round. I harvest what I expect to use, and let the rest stay. When I dig a clump, it can be 6" or more across.

3. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would think any full heads would rot?
    I harvest every July, sell half off as seed and replant every fall.

Boy you are a lazy gardener, huh? [​IMG]

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You better believe I'm a LAZY gardener! Those full heads just stay in the ground and keep multiplying every year. Have you ever dug up some Hyacinth bulbs after they've been in the ground for 4 or 5 years? You'll find that what was once a single bulb has grown into a cluster of 4 or more full sized bulbs. You can then pull that cluster of mature bulbs apart and plant them to increase your flower bed. By watching how nature does things, it's possible to take advantage of that perfect system and use it to make your life easier. Bulb trivia: Did you know that a lot of bulbs can use their root system to provide traction to actually pull themselves deeper into the soil. Ever tried digging bulbs to find them much deeper than they were when you first planted them? Other plant reproduction trivia, which follows the same line of plant wisdom: Try pulling up a purple violet plant by the roots. You'll find a bunch of blanched seed pods on very short succulent stems with huge seeds in them. Those seed pods didn't develop underground. They had to have developed above ground in the typical fashion when the plant blossomed. Then, I believe that those stems migrated into the soil and shortened as a way to be sure the plant could reproduce in the future, even if it wasn't able to bloom the following year.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Lazy gardenerr, I love the say you think!! lol FRUGAL!! lol

Aart-- I have often thought of planting but have not found a reliable source of garlic. My last effort was store bought heads that I broke apart and planted the cloves. NADA. Not sure if it was my lack of abilities or the garlic was not suitable for planting. I have not tried since.

I do use a lot of garlic though. SO bought 8 at the store last week and the kids peeled every clove for me. I started and they jumped in and took over. lol Now stored in freezer.

Suggestions on where to get garlic cloves for planting??

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, I sell it locally, have maintained my stock for 4 years now.....selling 6-10 lbs and filling my garden bed with some left over to use in my kitchen.
    Started with seed from my bro in upstate NY.
    Hard necks are good for your climate up there, plant in Oct, harvest in July.
    Grocery store garlic is usually soft neck....doubt it's worth planting, but don't really know.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    IMO, if you can get it into the ground, it's not too late to plant it. I agree, stiff neck is the way to go in the north. Probably too late this fall, but, Arielle, try checking your local farmer's market, or a health food store. Some seed companies also sell garlic bulbs, but IMO, they're way over priced. Better to get it from someone local. If you are able to find some to plant, and the ground isn't frozen, and you can plant it in a sheltered place, perhaps in your front flower garden where there is some residual heat from the foundation... and then you give it a good mulch covering... it should still do ok this fall!

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Tomorrow is in the 60's again. then the cold is back in. I put the tulip bulbs in yesterday. ANd will pray!! lol

Aart maybe it is not too late here?? I' m in southern NEw England-- much warmer than my Maine Friends. lol Does the bulb need to get started this year??? can I mulch it heavily and give it a go???? DO you do Paypal , or money order??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by