anyone on here in NY breed danes?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Fruit, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I want to get my husband another dane this summer hopefully if all goes well. Theyre our favorite dogs, our last one, Brutus, had been abused and when baby was born he decided he did not like him. We couldnt take a change with a 200 pound dog so he had to move to jersey with a family of polish women who agreed to feed him broutworst and pastries until he dropped dead from the spoiling.

Anyway, needless to say its been almost three years and we're terribly missing having a dane.

I watch the classifieds and websites- just wanted to see if I could network that off this site some how too.

We're looking for a big male. Preferably black. Good size (i prefer a thin dane as opposed to the european mastif body type- theyre just a healthier animal in my experience) no droopy eyes in the genetics, and long lived- I like to see danes that come from lines that live to 9-12 years.

2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    My last Dane was from a guy in NE pa near Allentown ? i believe, it has been a while 13 years - he had some Danes that were 10 when I got Zeus- alas my Zeus was only 8 when we had to put him down - if that is within your driving distance I can look for his papers t see if I can find the #

He was a blue dane /sire was black
    he also had some harlequins - he had a passion for the breed
    but he was a tall thin boy

3. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Dont go out of your way for it. its about 5 hours from me which isnt bad at all- if i have a number i can cross check it for a website. But like I said- dont go out of your way for it.

Did you ever replace your dane? I swear I havent slept a solid night in almost three years- something about a 200 pound critter- even if it was a 200 pound chicken scared of his own shadow- makes the house seem safer in the dark [​IMG] lol.

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Oh, I do miss my dane. His name was Cairo. He was a wonderful dog, which I adopted from the Humane Society at the age of 5. He lived to be 11- and we were sure lucky to have him. I fantasize about another- but I keep reading on this site that they are terrible with chickens? Did you find this to be true? I would LOVE to get one as a puppy- since we missed out on that...Happy Puppy Searching!

5. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:We didnt have chickens at the time, but I did have a bird, a parrot, and very small creatures.

Brutus loved anything small- as a buddy- not as a snack.

Any dog will eat chickens, but any dog can be trained. I think if you start with a puppy and train them with chicks from day one they'd grow to see them as companions and not dinner.

I've never heard of them being especially bad with other animals, if anything i've heard that theyre better.

6. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Quote:did not replace Zeus with a Dane
    after I had to put him down - I wanted small non sheddign dog ended up with min poodle then toy poodle
    then missed having a big dog - checked out some Danes
    DH highly allergic so we went with the standard poodle - he does nto cause the hives the danes were causing
    still love the danes and every time I see one have to go pet it

I'll look when I get home from work - all papers in the file cabinet

Danes definitly mae you feel safe
    I remember a guy knocking on doors selling meats out of a truck and the door was open to the screen door at just the top
    Zeus came barking at theman and the man jump back about 5 feet with his hand on his heart - told him no meat and he did not argue

7. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Where in NY are you from??

8. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Iam north of albany about 1.5 hours, against the VT border. I hate giving out the town name because its so small people could find me if they wanted to. Not that iam hiding, but some times people are creepy.

I'd travel anywhere as far as canada, the city, and syracuse.

9. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    haha. I totally understand about the creepy people.
    No offense BYCers!

I like about 20 minutes south of Albany --- I havent seen many other New Yorkers on here thats what I was wondering

10. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    correction:
    I LIVE 20 min south of Albany

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by