1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone on here make stuff out of spun glass???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cjeanean, Oct 26, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I've seen it done before, and although it looks a little tricky I'd like to give it a shot. Just the basic stuff done with two sticks of glass and a torch. Can anyone on here help me get started??? Thanks!!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That sounds really cool. I want to know too!

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    have you ever seen it done, debiR??? It's really cool!! It looks tricky, but simple. It'll definately take some practice, but I'd really like to try to get something going by Christmas....The lady at the mall was doing it at her stand, and she was showing us how it works. I just don't know what to get to start!

4. debilorrah

I've seen it done several times, and always thought that some of the equipment looks expensive. I did stained glass for a while and really want to get back into that, but it's been like 24 years and I don't remember a thing.

Blown glass is so pretty and even mistakes come out interesting enough to catch someone's eye.

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    check this vid out, it's so cool!

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I've done it once before... Not all that hard, but delicate. Shatter's easy if you dont have it warmed up right, and cooled down properly...

ETA: I didn't do THAT kind of spun glass... I was doing the glass beads that you make on rods....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  7. [​IMG] Very neat! I'd be interested in learning more about it too.

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    does anyone know where to buy the glass rods???

9. debilorrah

are you thinking of doing things my way? Buy the stuff, buy a book and hope for the best? [​IMG] I do that all the time. The best result was cross stitching with glass beads instead of just thread. I had some beautiful pieces I gave as gifts.

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    LOL, yeah, except without the book....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by