ANYONE ON THAT CAN HELP QUICK!!UPDATE!!! GUESS WHAT I FOUND TONIGHT!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cthrash1, Oct 24, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Tonight is night 18 for 3 of my eggs so I go down and check on them before moving them to the hatcher and my Japanese egg has pipped a hole through the side of the shell right below the air sac, it must've done it recently because I just peeked at them this afternoon. It is still moving, will it be okay? Thinking I may need to lower my temp(100.6 forced air) if it is this soon or maybe they are like the Serama and hatch earlier?

I am worried about it...I quickly covered the hole with my hand to check real quick for movment, dabbed a touch of water on the hole so it won't dry out and put it in the hatcher. Will I have to help it or can they hatch this way?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I never had japanese before but they should be fine. I had quite a few pip on day 18. Make sure the hole is up and dont touch until he is out and dry [​IMG]

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Wish I could help Cindy, but keeping good thoughts for ya.

Meri

4. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    The egg is standing up in an egg carton, is that okay or should I lay it on its side with the hole at the top?

5. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Thanks Meri...I hope it makes it.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'd leave it alone.

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I never tried the carton method but I heard good things from it so thats fine. The chicks head comes out that way anyway. Dont touch the temp either. As long as its not over 102 your fine.

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I would leave the temp alone, move them to the hatcher and up the hum, I'm not sure what you mean by "you covered the hole for a min" But I wouldnt cover a pip hole that would be how the chick is breathing... Also be carful about putting water near the pip hole you dont want to drowned the chick with to much water. It can take a chick up to 48 hours to fully hatch so maybe he/she isen't all that early !!! Maybe your dates were a dayish off !!!! I wouldnt worrie to much at this point....

9. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    My dickey was set on 102 degrees when I bought it, I turned it down to 100 because I got a couple chicks with issues...but they always hatched in 21 days. If I were you, I would run out and buy a second thermometer to double-check the temperature. Let us know how the little guys turn out.

10. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    [​IMG]
    Quote:I would leave the temp alone, move them to the hatcher and up the hum, I'm not sure what you mean by "you covered the hole for a min" But I wouldnt cover a pip hole that would be how the chick is breathing... Also be carful about putting water near the pip hole you dont want to drowned the chick with to much water. It can take a chick up to 48 hours to fully hatch so maybe he/she isen't all that early !!! Maybe your dates were a dayish off !!!! I wouldnt worrie to much at this point....

By covering the hole I meant I put that side in the hollow of my hand while I used the egg candler at the top so air would not come in contact with the hole I then dipped my finger in water and what was left on it I touched the side where the pip is before putting it in the hatcher. Hope I didn't harm it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by